• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buying a kibler colonial. 54 or 58?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new Kibler colonial rifle kit. I do have some questions regarding weight. If anyone has a 54 or 58 respectively would they please weigh and share the weight that they get? I hear the 58 is it lighter as it uses the same stock and barrel as the 54 and 50 caliber guns. If anyone has any experience that would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any other Pros or cons when it comes to the 58 versus 54? I know the 58 is more expensive to shoot as the round balls are more expensive. The rifle will be used for Missouri sized white tail and possibly one day an elk. Any thoughts comments or concerns about the subject would be greatly appreciated thank you!

For hunting purposes, either should serve you well. I wouldn't let the price of consumables dictate the choice. Start casting your own round ball.
Thanks for the reply and the insight! Not concerned about the price of LRB or consumables, rather stating that I know there is a price difference so someone might not have to state the obvious. I would love to start casting but I just am not sure I have the time.

I dont have the weight...pretty sure you can find it on Kiblers site. For what its worth, the .58 colonial I have holds to the shoulder like a feather

I have two barrels for my Colonial, a 50 and a 58. My buddy a Colonial in 54. My 58 weighs 8.5 pounds, his 54 at 9, my 50 , a bit under 9.5. Lighter weight aside, the fine balance of the 58 was noticeable, and the difference in felt recoil was negligible. Accuracy of the 58 leaves little to be desired and the difference in trajectory at 100 yards when compared to the 54 with both zeroed at 50 yard was about 1 inch.
F6F8EFC1-D9EA-4A9C-8371-99D9659C3886.jpeg

I have a colonial in .58. It weighs about what Art said(8.6 on my scales). Mine is the old style with a Rice barrel and Chambers lock. It balances well at the shoulder. Probably the best balance of all the calibers. I shoot .562 balls in mine. They are $16.95 for 50 at Track. Unless you are going to shoot a lot matches the cost of the supplies isn't that critical. Hunting and plinking once in a while aren't very expensive.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies! That is what I was wanting. I was leaning toward the 58 and still am after the weight differences reported and that outstanding group at 100! As a side note since I’m a total newb what would be some expected velocities for a 58 bs a 54 in a hunting load situation?

E0ED8561-1E30-49B7-9A72-95C45E74597F.jpeg
My .58 colonial weighs 9.2#, but might be the most balanced gun I’ve ever owned. I plan on using it here in Kansas for whitetail and for my elk muzzleloader hunts. It’s plenty big for deer (I’ve harvested plemty with my .40). I just started to sight it in today. 80 gr FFF Goex, .57 Hornady RB & a spit .010 patch. Rain cut me short before I could get it centered

Last edited:
My Colonial in 58 is well balanced, shoots well, and recoil is more akin to a shove... I have a 54cal trade gun that kicks harder. Until I get my next custom rifle from a known builder, it will be hard to top this Colonial Rifle. My only gripe is the Colonial Rifle styling isn't quite exactly my preference... much more of a southern mountain rifle kinda guy, but I needed the 58, so that is the direction I went.

Currently putting my .58 colonial together. I agonized over .58 or .54. So far with all the parts assembled,but not yet finished, I can say the balance of the .58 is amazing. Glad I chose it.

If I can ever get kiblers to respond to my emails I would be tempted to get a 58 one day. Yeah I already have a couple of 50s and a 54 but there is just something about 58s I love.

If I can ever get kiblers to respond to my emails I would be tempted to get a 58 one day. Yeah I already have a couple of 50s and a 54 but there is just something about 58s I love.
I have not had good luck with emails either but dial the phone.
Really? Jim usually runs behind a few days on his email, but always responds. Katherine and Lorie respond very frequently as well. Try by phone

Looking to purchase a new Kibler colonial rifle kit. I do have some questions regarding weight. If anyone has a 54 or 58 respectively would they please weigh and share the weight that they get? I hear the 58 is it lighter as it uses the same stock and barrel as the 54 and 50 caliber guns. If anyone has any experience that would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any other Pros or cons when it comes to the 58 versus 54? I know the 58 is more expensive to shoot as the round balls are more expensive. The rifle will be used for Missouri sized white tail and possibly one day an elk. Any thoughts comments or concerns about the subject would be greatly appreciated thank you!
I have a .54 Kibler and have no problems, I'm 77 years old and no big guy.

Ditto to the above, try calling, or reaching out to the ladies' email address as they respond very quickly. Twas my experience.

Really? Jim usually runs behind a few days on his email, but always responds. Katherine and Lorie respond very frequently as well. Try by phone

I just had a look back over my emails then, they replied to the first couple but the last was 14th July saying they will get back with some more info in a day or so, never heard back. At the start of September I sent them another one letting them know politely I was still waiting on the information and still received nothing. Sure I could get up at 2 or 3 in the morning to make a $10 call to them, but I'm not going to go out of my way chasing people who won't get back to me.

It's great others have good experiences with them and I don't doubt it, but that's not been the case for me.

Back