• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

buyer beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back I got ahold of a .54 smoothbore flinter and it was a kit gun from about the Bi-Centenial days with no work done to the stock and was missing the ram rod. It cost me $50.00 and when I got it home found that it was loaded. So with realy hot soapy water and an hours time I had not one but two loads pulled. The lock gave out on me but got an old Syler rifle lock to work and worked the stock and cut the barrel down to 40 inchs and attached a bayonette lug and she shoots great.

You installed a M6 X 1 nipple into your 1/4-28 UNF hole.

The 1/4-28 UNF female thread has a major (largest diameter at the tips of the V) diameter of just a bit over .250 inches.

A M6 male thread has a major diameter of .236 so it's about .014 smaller than 1/4 inch.
That allows it to screw in real easy.

The 1/4" female thread has a minor diameter (smallest diameter) of about .216 so, because it is smaller than the largest diameter of the M6 thread, it gives the illusion that it's working.

I won't get into the difference between the 1mm thread spacing and a 28 threads per inch but they are close enough to act like they are screwing together.

The trouble is, as you found, the joint doesn't have any strength at all so the nipple can be blown out of the hole after a few shots.

Back