• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buyer’s Preference: pre-fired or un-fired?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, please make a video of the first firing. Doesn't have to be a detailed film, just a quickie. :)
I should have thought of that ! This is from a day ago.
40 grains of 3F, .395 Horandy round ball and .015 spit patch.
It fires very fast and I am delighted with it.
Alas, it is now for sale 🙂

I may be wrong, but I believe most or all commercially-produced guns are test fired. And personally, I'd be leery about buying a gun that hadn't been fired at least a time or two, to make sure it functions properly... I have no desire to be a firearms beta tester. :)
I'd hate to be the guy proof firing a "second"

"Proofing" a barrel is not really to 'make sure it fires' but to make sure the Barrel is sound, does not bulge or split with a heavy load.
Speaking from memory; Loyalist Arms explains three standards used in the European market:
1) 1.5 load with 1 ball
2) x2 load with 1 ball
3) x2 load with 2 ball
All done with no patch.
Once the barrel is 'Proofed', in Europe, it gets a 'stamp of approval'. This is done with the barrel removed from the stock and then it is assembled and the workings are checked.

But as stated there is no 'proofing standard' here in the USA - assemble it, put it up to your face and let American Ingenuity take it from there.

Latest posts

Back