• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buyer’s Preference: pre-fired or un-fired?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple pics the rifle finally finished. Now just waiting for a non-raining day to christen her.
We'll see what becomes of her then 🙂

Attachments

• 40 a.jpg
    40 a.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 40 h.jpg
    40 h.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 40 i.jpg
    40 i.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 71
I bought this kit to build the rifle for the joy of building it. It's done, looks lovely and I just didn't know if prospective buyers are more interested in an un-fired new rifle or an already "christened" one.
It will be fun to shoot though.
My god, I might decide to keep it then...:oops:
Most all guns are test fired before being given to the customer.

By the by, I haven’t bought a new pistol in years that didn’t have a little paper folder with two empty shells in it to remind me they have my new gun’s rifling signature on file down at HQ. They’re all shot.

I would never hand a newly finished rifle to the customer before test firing and rough setting the sights. Want to make sure everything works as it should and sights are close. If something needs changed or fixed I want to do it while it is in my possession. Bad form if the customer has to bring it back after first trip to the range.

Back in the old days, a maker would shoot the rifle he built, provide a target along with the load data for the target. That was when service was service.

In considering things, I would prefer the maker fire the rifle prior to shipping, and regulate the sights. Pre-firing especially, if it was a flintlock. That way any problems would be identified prior to shipping.

My thoughts:
When I purchased my early model Sea Musket from Loyalist Arms they gave me two options:
1) Send me the rifle Un'-Proofed, 7" length of fuse, one ball, and instructions for proofing it myself.
They guaranteed the Barrel Only, NOT the Stock. So I had to disassemble to proof.

2) If I waited an additional 6 or weeks AND paid an additional $100 (or mayb6it was $75, cant recall exactly) then they would proof it.

I chose...on me, to not wait and proof myself. For me it was a new adventure, something I wanted to do. All went well and I saved a few dollars...but I do admit (especially with an India made barrel, but I trusted Loyalist Arms and had done business with them prior) my heart was in my throat when I lit that fuse, I was nervous as I made my second measurements on the barrel ("oh please let all be well..."), and even after all checked out, it put it all back together, I was Still nervous the first few time I shot her.

My others, both from Loyalist Arms and from Pedersoli as well as my used ones from makers no longer in existence; I felt much more comfortable making those first few shots knowing that it (they) had been fully vetted before putting up to my face.

I know here in USA we dont have "Proof Houses" but I sure like to know one way or another that the barrel has passed at least a live fire test.

But the Sea Musket...what can I say, I am after all an Adrenaline Junkie and it was a Blast and an experience. Plus, I took a chance and saved a few bucks.

Back