• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buy used or have one made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a website Gobbler Knob Longrifles. Does anyone have any guns made by him and how do you like it? Also, saw a used gun made by John Garner. Same question about his guns. I know he is a well known gun builder and just wondering what owners have experienced with his guns. Thanks

Saw a website Gobbler Knob Longrifles. Does anyone have any guns made by him and how do you like it? Also, saw a used gun made by John Garner. Same question about his guns. I know he is a well known gun builder and just wondering what owners have experienced with his guns. Thanks
Being a smarta$$ (my dear mother will confirm this), I have to say buy used and don’t overpay until you understand and know what you want. As long as you don’t overpay it is pretty easy to get your money out of a used gun. With a new or custom gun you typical take a beating if you try and sell soon after purchase.

If the gun was made by Jack Garner, who started TVM before selling to Matt Avance, the gun should be a well built gun in the style of traditional muzzleloaders. There may be a few inconsistencies, such as the use of a Siler lock (Germanic style) instead of an English style lock, a little too much wood in a couple of places, but all in all it should be a good gun. Be sure to inspect carefully for signs of abuse or neglect.

I know nothing of Gobbler Knob Longrifles.

Now then, there are many factors to consider with respect to buying used or having one custom made. A custom gun will be made to your requirements. You can select lock style, triggers, barrel length, caliber, rifling twist, length of pull and stock wood. Expect to be added to the builders backlog and wait for a couple of years to get your rifle.

A used gun, you will have in your hands as soon as money is exchanged. If you are selective in your seeking of a rifle, buying used could take some time too. Compromises may be made with respect to caliber, lock, barrel length furnishing material and length of pull. Being selective could also take some time.

I was looking for a finished rifle...new or used, it was simply a matter of price really. I wanted a simple rifle, swamped barrel, single trigger, in .50 or .54. I came across a Cabin Creek PA Mountain Rifle with a .54 caliber 38" swamped barrel, single trigger, and minimal hardware. She was used, and I bought her. I've taken a lot of deer with her...in fact all of the deer I've taken in my life have been with her. Used is not necessarily a bad thing.

LD

The big question is are you right handed ? If so there are many choices of good quality used guns to be had. Good quality pictures showing the quality of inletting will generally tell how well the gun was put together including touch hole and or drum placement.

Bore condition will be the starting factor.

What state does this Gobler Knob Longrifles live in. I new of such a maker, Rick Lernert, who had a shop by that name in PA., but he closed up shop and moved away. Stumpkiller may add to this.

I have done both.

You can without a doubt buy a used rifle cheaper then having one made.

Just depends on what you want and if you can find a used that you like.

There is a used one for sale right now that it really calling my name, and for the rifle it is under priced IMO. Certainly could not have a new one made for that price.

Fleener

I picked up a rifle made by a very well know maker, and I got around $700 in it. This makers rifles are selling for well over $7K. It is a drop dead beautiful rifle. Yep, I got luck on this one, but if you keep your eyes open and are not a afraid to take some risk, you can get some nice rewards.

Fleener

You fall in love with a rifle you don’t own, and that’s the one you want.
Then you get it and umph, for some reason it’s not what you want.
I built a Leman trade rifle, found it uncomfortable to shoot. I got a NWG and same thing, it wasn’t as comfortable as my TFC or fun to shoot for me.
My first build was a Hawken full stock flint lock. Awful proud of it, taken right off a Dave Write drawing, unfortunately no such gun existed back in the day.
I would say buy used get to know your gun and play hard with it, don’t invest big bucks until you know for sure you’ll be happy with what you by.
Then where do you want to go with the gun?
Hunt elk? You need a good sized bore and a gun style that fits that caliber.
Hunt white tails? You don’t need an elk killer. Hunt paper? They go down real easy.
Go to historic events? You need a gun that fits your event. You could have gone west with a revolutionary rifle, but you can’t take a western rifle of even a SMR to a revolutionary event.

There is a muzzleloading show in Knoxville in April. Lots of guns and parts for sale. Contemporary and original. You can pick them up and try them. One thing to keep in mind is that parts cost is about $800 to $1000 by the time you pay postage and get a swamped barrel inlet, etc. Then you wait 3-5yrs. for the gun to be built. A nice used gun is cheaper, usually in good condition, and has immediate gratification.
Track of the Wolf gives you a 10 day inspection period. All it will cost is postage to take a look.
At my age I quit waiting. I just shop and buy. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back