• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Busy on the Forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcclure

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The temps have been cooling off and I have been taking a little time to forge some blades that will be my bad weather projects this winter. Opinions and comments are welcomed.

They look mighty fine to me sir! Nice shape to the blades and wide shanks on the last two for comfortable handles. I made one for my wife and it had a narrow shank for the scales and is not as comfortable for her to use as the others, even though it has a great blade shape like yours.

Good looking blades ya got going. Gonna have to post the finished knives...Bud

Beautiful blade shapes and nice color forging heat, beautiful pictures. Do you inlet your tangs into the back of your handles then pin in place? I used to forge my tangs centered to leave handle material on top; Most of my blades had full tapered tangs for scales. Looks like you are definitely on the true path! Please let us know what steel you use and tempering methods, etc. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: George.

The blade that has color was a piece of 1085 that a member of this board sent to me. The other blades are all files. Wick send me a good message back in the spring about heat treating and I use the method that he shared with me...nothing special, normalizing, quenching, and then I have a small oven that I set on 425 and heat for an hour then cool (X3) and I get the straw color that is needed.

I do my best to distal tamper the blades and honestly I will have to do some measurements to let you know what the lengths widths etc.

I also say "nice shape." Graceful.

One idea that will make your life easier: Finish the face of your anvil. My mastersmith kept a mirror face on his anvil and all the pro blade forgers I ever visited have a mirror finish. If you polish your anvil and your hammer then the only marks in the blade will be the ones you put there. That means a lot less grinding and filing.

I took my most recently purchased anvil to a local machine shop and had them surface grind the face and then grind the bottom parallel with it. It's not a mirror, but close enough. Cost me $100, but well worth it for the time and sanding belts saved.

I am a 100% self taught learner when it came to smithing. It is always good to hear others have to say and I am always learning something new. Thanks for the info.

It is a Fisher and at some point I knew the dates on it....as best I can remember its an early (first decade) 20th century. I have forgotten how I determined that, but thats what I remember.

Latest posts

Back