• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

burning wet BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Writing about his experiences on the Kentucky frontier in 1784, Spencer Records wrote: “As our guns were wet and out of order, we let them remain so; which I think was providentially ordered; for if we had put them in order that night, which could only be done, by picking powder in at the touchhole, and shooting them off; the Indians would have heard them, and have come in search of us, and found us by our fire.”

That caught my attention. It seemed impossible, so I tried a little test. I wet some powder on a paper until it was like black mud, then laid a trail of dry powder to it and lit it. When the flame got to the wet powder there was an instant of hissing, then it flashed just as if it were dry. The paper was dry, with dry residue, no water. I was surprised, and decided I would try that in a gun, one day soon. It wasn’t soon, but I got to it today.

I repeated my earlier test, today, but never could get the wet powder to flash as it had then. It burned through very quickly, though, and was completely burned.

For the test in the gun I wasn’t sure how to go about wetting the powder. Doing it on the paper wasn’t easy, had to stir it with a stick to make it happen, so I wasn’t sure just dribbling water into the vent would do. Thought about loading dry powder and then drizzling water into the bore, but the same problem remained, I wouldn’t know how wet the powder was. I decided to do just as I had done before to make certain the powder was well and truly wet, so I stirred water into a charge of 40 grains of 3F until it was a black mud, not soupy but absolutely wet through and through. A tough test is the best kind. I then put it into the bore of my 20 ga. smoothbore and rammed a single overshot wad over it so the bore would be scraped clean, all the powder on the breech. I then primed as usual and tried the shot. Nada, flash in the pan. Tried that twice more, same result. I then primed the same, but spent some time picking dry prime through the vent before firing. Nothing on the first three tries except a little fizzing at the vent, but on the fourth there was a second of hissing/fizzing with flame obviously shooting from the vent, then the gun “fired”, but with a loud “foop” and the wad popped out of the muzzle about 10 feet. Impressive. I tried a second time, the same except I used tow as the wad. This time it took almost a dozen tries, but eventually it happened just as before, fizzing stream of fire out the touchhole, then a loud “foop” and the tow was blown out. I ran a dry patch and it came back dry so I then loaded with dry powder, primed as normal, and it fired as normal.

Those old boys knew a thing or two.

If I wound up with wet powder I’d pull the ball, if I could, but it’s good to know that soaking wet BP will burn, and as a last resort it is possible to clear your gun in this simple way without tools.

Spence

That could prove very useful someday. Thanks for the experiment and posting results.

I wonder if it will generate enough pressure to expell a tightly patched ball. :hmm: Enjoy, J.D.

Thanks for the time and trouble to make this post! As usual I end up learning on this forum. This one will have me scratching my head for a while! Geo. T.

I had the same result from a percussion rifle, only it was unintentional. After getting caught out in the worst rain hail lightning storm I had ever seen, I got back to camp soaking wet. There was water squishing out of my boots with every step. I think even by brain got soaked. Needless to say, the rifle was also soaking wet.

I popped off one cap to empty the gun, nothing but pop. I tried a second cap with the same result. On the third cap, there was a long hissing sound and then finally a boom. Sounded like a fuse inside my rifle. As it was hissing, I was afraid the ball was being pushed forward, and if the charge did go off, the ball would act as an obstruction and....you know. I quickly held the gun forward and turned my head to the rear in case there was an "accident". Nothing bad happened, so I guess it's ok to shoot off a wet load like that. Bill

Thanks Spence! You're a true asset to this forum and a great friend to all of us. Thanks again for all you do to help all of us. :hatsoff:

Very cool experiment. I knew wet powder would burn in open air but had no idea it would go off in the rifle barrel. Learned something new that may come in REAL handy one day. Thanks for all the neat stuff you try and then post.

When I did this first time around my immediate thought was that this put a different light on the idea that a little water from the patch would have significant bad effect on the powder charge. I then wondered if that might include oil. So, I repeated the test on paper using oil. I stirred oil into a charge until completely wet, and it fired up even better than with the water, ignited quicker and left less residue. I didn't try oiled powder in the gun, but I don't know why it would behave any differently.

There's not much chance clearing a wet gun in this way will ever have any practical application, but I think it's reasonable to think of contamination of charges as less of a problem than some would have us believe.

Spence

It does seem to disprove the idea that pouring a little water into the powder charge will "kill" it.

I've heard of folks who wanted to unload their gun by pulling the ball so they dampened their powder charge with water.
They felt that once this was done it was safe to stand in front of the muzzle.

This is great information! I wonder has anyone spread out wet powder on a board and allowed the powder to dry. If wet powder is dried out can it be broken up and used again?

Well there you go I can honestly say I would have thought there was no way that would work ,one can learn something new . :thumbsup: :)

1601phill said:
Well there you go I can honestly say I would have thought there was no way that would work
I would certainly have agreed with you, but I have figured out something which I think is very important. The people of the historical period some of us are interested in were not idiots. If they write down something in a unequivocal way, no matter how much it disagrees with our modern thinking, it might be a good idea to at least give them the benefit of the doubt. We might learn something.

Spence

I have read several times about drying out powder and mixing in some fresh powder to bring it back, but never about getting a wet mixture to burn :)

Back