• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bunny hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Had the day off, and with the small game season coming to a close, decided to take the .54 up to the mountains for some rabbits. I went to the mountains outside of Tarryall Creek. It was a beautiful Colorado day, lots of sun and a little nip in the air.
I missed the first bunny, out about 40 yds. The next one was not as fortunate, being only about 25 feet.
Amazing what a head shot with 50 grains and a .530 round ball will do when bunny hunting. Ended up missing and getting one more.
I was only taking head shots, and the second one I got was out at 30 yards.
I saw a few blue grouse, but they are out of season.
Anyway, had a great day makin smoke, just wanted to tell someone-YMHS Flint50

It sounds like you had a good day a-hunting.
I need to take the boy out some time soon. We haven't went rabbit hunting for a couple of years.
We don't seem to have many rabbits around here , any more, though.

Sounds like you had a good fun day. What kind of hoppers were they? How was the eatin? :hatsoff:

:hmm:
I've been interested almost exclusively in shotguns... I like to hunt cottontails, they are close range shots (50 yards). They are hard to get with a shotgun unless you are really quick and jump them close. Jackrabbits are always in season here, and there are bus loads of them.

I think I just found a really good excus... err, reason to buy a rifle too!

I wonder how a jack in a crockpot with lots of veggies and beef broth would work...

Flint50 - Bunny Hunting with a .50, that sounds like fun. I assume those were cottontails you were going after? I've never seen Jacks up there by Tarryall, but haven't spent much time up there either.

What is the CO season on bunnies? With the cold weather we've had this year Tulerima probably isn't an issue is it?

I am jealous, I was in the office on the 15th getting the life sucked out of me by the flourescent lights! Congrats on a great day of hunting. Like they say for some folks this is two weeks vacation a year, and you live here! Don't you feel lucky!

Take Care,

Flint50 said:
Had the day off, and with the small game season coming to a close, decided to take the .54 up to the mountains for some rabbits. I went to the mountains outside of Tarryall Creek. It was a beautiful Colorado day, lots of sun and a little nip in the air.
I missed the first bunny, out about 40 yds. The next one was not as fortunate, being only about 25 feet.
Amazing what a head shot with 50 grains and a .530 round ball will do when bunny hunting. Ended up missing and getting one more.
I was only taking head shots, and the second one I got was out at 30 yards.
I saw a few blue grouse, but they are out of season.
Anyway, had a great day makin smoke, just wanted to tell someone-YMHS Flint50

I'm envious...sounds like a lot of[url] fun...in[/url] all the time I spend in the woods deer hunting, I just never see rabbits around where I hunt...kicked one up walking in to a treestand a couple years ago but that literally has been it for a few years!

Wish I had a squirrel dog to try them some later this winter...there's a few of them around...have a new .54cal GM smoothbore flint barrel that throws a great pattern of #6's at 25yds.

Again, congrats on your hunt...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rabbits are so scarce around here they are almost endangered. I so wish we had a huntable population of them. I feel sorry for the rare one I see, I bet it is lonely. :(

We have lots of rabbits in lower michigan,I am waiting for the snow to settle and deer seasons end to run my beagles.I Have a puppy to start. :winking: Rocky

Never had a problem with tulerima, especially late in the year. And YES its been cold. I believe the season ends in January

I walk the edges of fields and logging roads with a small bore rifle and cross sticks. Dawn and dusk is prime time, but not hte only time. My Tennessee is set at a 6 o'clock hold so that I can look at the shoulder over the front sight at about 25 to 35 yards and the round strikes the head.

I like it so much that I think that I will head out shortly.

CS

It sounded like an invite. Count me in too. I think MI has a long bunny season, maybe into March??

Yes the rabbit season runs till the end of march and the does are carrying baby rabbits then,I just let the dogs chase them couse I can't tell the bucks from the does,can't hear there nuts rattle anymore. Michigan has a hunting on private land deal you can get from the Michigan DNR.Walmart has copies of that puplication. :winking: Rocky

My grandfather used to be a big Beagler and he explained to me his thoughts. If the dogs tracked a rabbit in a circle then it was a buck. If in a semi-straight line, and holed up, then it was a doe. I started looking for those qualities 20 years ago with my dogs and found that about 80% of the time that was the case. I usually wouldn't be to quick to let others take a shot so as to shoot mostly buck hares. BTW, I thought male rabbits had fur balls :hmm:

got out a while on Friday myself...

flintlockrabbits.jpg

Now I hope I get some taters and gravy!!!

Back