• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bunny and/or Grouse Hunt in a Can

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No, not a canned hunt. :nono:

Years ago I saw a small but very curved horn that had a half-circular ball bag that nestled in the curve for a very small "just a hunt" outfit. I wanted to apply the same concept to my 12 bore percussion shotgun. As Thoreau said: "Simplify, simplify."

Here is a 2-1/2" x 3-3/4" x 7/8" tin that contains all the fixins for nine shots - provided the flask and shot snake are worn/drug along. I figure to carry this in the pocket of my hunting jacket and "travel light(er)" this fall.

HPIM0789.jpg

HPIM0791.jpg

HPIM0792.jpg

The tin (an Altoids mint tin with the paint torched off & rubbed with motor oil) holds 9 cushion wads (lightly rolled in a lube of equal parts Crisco, beeswax & mutton tallow), 11 over-powder wads (leaving me two extra to wipe the bore with using the wad puller it the fouling gets rough), 14 over shot cards, a 5/16-27 threaded wad puller, corked tube with 14 percussion caps (a 7.62 X 54R case with the rim ground off and the neck sawn back), a spare nipple and nipple pick (made from a small paper clip) and a custom collapsable nipple wrench/screwdriver (a 125 grain glue-on blunt tip for a tapered arrow with a slot hacksawed into the tip, a hole for a "bobbed" 5/32" allen wrench; and the tip of the wrench ground into a hollow-ground screwdriver with a Mizzy wheel in a Dremel and then cold blued - kind of proud of that one).

The dividers currently are blue manila folder cardboard and, if I like this arrangement, I will make the final version out of thin sheet brass shim stock.

That's a slick and handy system. I've been cobbling together something similar for my rifle, but mine isn't nearly as well thought out.

I like it!

I use a similar approach with my 32 and 36 cal rifles, but a small drawstring bag instead of the can. Plenty of balls for a long day of snowshoe hare hunting fits into a smaller bag within, made from the thumb of a pair of leather work gloves.

Trouble with all the larger bag, it's kind of a nuisance fishing around in it to find things. Your tin would hold it all, and a lot more conveniently. I like the idea of using the shim stock for dividers, too.

Well done!

And thanks for the idea. :hatsoff:

Ah, one more thing: there's a seperate brass powder measure on a lanyard that will eventually be attached to the shot snake (so it won't clank against the flask). I haven't got the load figured out yet - will be 70 to 80 grains FFg depending what patterns best.

Back