• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet with washer on "nose"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In about 1970, a USAF compatriot of mine gave me a small collection of ACW bullets from his farm in VA. One of them appears to be about .54-56 cal, two definite, possibly a third top grease-grooves, and has what appears to be a solid washer-on-post protruding from the nose of the short bullet. It has a small cavity in the base, perhaps about .22" dia. and about .25" deep. "Gary" said that this is the only one like it he'd ever found on the farm and had never seen another like it. Nor have I. Anyone have knowledge or a reasoned guess? A "bore-cleaning" round? TIA.

Dealing with aging brain cells here. I recall something about bullets cast with zinc "washers" in them for whatever reason. But I don't recall if that was from my early reloading days in the 1950's and 1960's or something from history.

I heard of the ones with zinc washers also but those are still being used but not current production. They also had the sink washers on the base if I remember right. Not sure of the purpose though unless they acted like a gas check.

BrownBear said:
Dealing with aging brain cells here. I recall something about bullets cast with zinc "washers" in them for whatever reason.
I collected this picture of what as said to be a 'cleaning round' issued for rifled muskets in the civil war. Brain cells, as BB said, but were they Williams Patent?

Spence

I'll ask my daughter to photograph the bullet and help me post the photo. For some reason, I have been of the impression that this round was intended for bore cleaning.

Minie's original design incorporated an iron plug in the hollow base of his bullet, to aid in expanding the base to fit the rifling. In practice, this was found unnecessary.

I believe the base plug incorporating the zinc washer was used to clean the bore during sustained firing.

Richard/Grumpa

Will try posting bullet pictures:

bullet%202_zpsu3tqv7ad.jpg

bulllet%201_zpsgsy6hpjk.jpg

bullet%203_zps4amziaej.jpg

Back