• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet starters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to muzzle loading....
That being said I know I need a bullet starter before I use the ram rod. Between the small T starters, wood balls and synthetic balls,. Which work best for you? I'll be shooting 50 cal.

That being said I know I need a bullet starter before I use the ram rod. Between the small T starters, wood balls and synthetic balls,. Which work best for you? I'll be shooting 50 cal.
What makes you think you "need" a ball starter?
There is some controversy over whether or not they were original equipment. Some folks use them now. Some don't. I generally don't except when starting really tight fitting target loads.
If you choose not to, then grip your ramrod low near the muzzle of the barrel when starting the ball. Wooden ramrods get broken, and sometimes stabbed through a hand when gripping the ramrod too far up out of the gun muzzle.
However, ball starters are very easy to make. Although I seldom use one, the ones I make resemble a lollypop. I cut a wooden disc approximately 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick. In the side of this I drill a hole in which I insert about a 3/8 inch dowel. (depends on the caliber of the gun) You can make the dowel whatever length you're comfortable with. Myself, I like about 4 inches. When finished it resembles a lollypop.

A short starter is easy to make and easy to buy. They were not used to any degree 200 years ago, maybe a few examples from the 19th century, but they’re mainly a creation of the early 20th century. But I use one and always have. Here’s one I made for my .50s.

Attachments

• F68E868F-8FD8-4155-A7F1-9461C0E3F417.jpeg
    F68E868F-8FD8-4155-A7F1-9461C0E3F417.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
A short starter is easy to make and easy to buy. They were not used to any degree 200 years ago, maybe a few examples from the 19th century, but they’re mainly a creation of the early 20th century. But I use one and always have. Here’s one I made for my .50s.
Thank you
I made a couple from antlers and brass rod, but I generally use the wooden ball one if I need to.
View attachment 189069
Now that is cool! I saw a faux antler one from traditions but yours is definitely better

Ok, here's my take, I don't care about historical correctness unless that's what I'm going for. A short starter, is handy IMO and I personally like having one. I do like being a little different than others so, I ordered a custom one. The little extra was worth it for me as, others may have one too but, no two will be exactly the same. If you are interested in such, below is my custom antlered one enroute from one of our own. Like? @Two Feathers is the man to see! And a great guy to boot!:thumb:

188426-b5bde99d53b7b733e4a54f38de7798c2.jpg

188427-114bf79310b1654dd6ec8ea67f1d5fc2.jpg

Totally disregarding whether it is HC or PC or any other kind of correct or not I like the simple ones made of a wood ball and wood rammers (or whatever you wish to call them). The short one seats the ball just far enough into the barrel so that you can cut the patch with your patch knife (Refer back to my comment in the first sentence, applies to patch knives too). The longer one puts the ball far enough down the barrel to reduce the chance of breaking a ramrod and just makes loading that much easier.

I don't use them for my smoothbore, and seldom with a rifle (instead I just choke up on the last 4" of the rammer). But here is one in the upper center of the image I do occasionally use for target shooting. Just a 1/2" x 1-1/2" dowel end whittled in a maple block and smoothed for a palm smack. Pushes the pre-patched/lubed balls out of the block and into the bore. Horner75 took pity on me and the odd brass priming tube is now replaced with a flat priming horn. ;-)

N6FWwYN.jpg

I mostly shoot patched round balls and found my starters with a very short (1/2"?) nub as well as a longer shaft work best for me. The nub seats the ball just far enough in to slice off the patch and the longer shaft pushes the patched ball far enough down the bore to allow using the ramrod without bending/possibly breaking.

Slicing off the patch thusly covers the ball perfectly, the same every time and ensures every patch is almost always "round". Also use a "bore guide" to protect the crown. Scrap pieces of cut-off ramrods make better starter shafts than dowel rods (mostly pine) from a hardware store which tend to break.

I use a starter for my .36 SMR, but I coned my .62 Hawken. With the coned barrel, I can place the ball just below the crown with my thumb, cut at the muzzle, then simply use my ramrod to push the ball home.

I use this "ball". I just place it over my Ram Rod. It works fine. I like coned barrels and found that they help initially seating the ball, which then helps when you use the ramrod. IMHO

Attachments

• loading ball 1.jpg
    loading ball 1.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 0
  • loading ball 2.JPG
    loading ball 2.JPG
    542.4 KB · Views: 0
  • loading ball 3.jpg
    loading ball 3.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 0
  • ML Ball Starters.jpg
    ML Ball Starters.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I had a loop on my bag for one, so I got one.
Dont think Ive ever pulled it out of the loop.
I have a few in the "T" configuration and one with the ball and short nub and 4in rod. I used them very infrequently? Go figure?

Attachments

• ML Ball Starters.jpg
    ML Ball Starters.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Kind of interesting, folks jump on that ball starters, are not PC, but they sure do not mention that adjustable rear sights were not used 200 years ago. They use them now for some reason with no qualms.

Back