• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearhunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock with a 24" barrel and a 1in48" twist. What would be a good overall mould for it? By overall I mean deer, bear, and posibly moose in the future. I was thinking either a 370gr Lyman Maxi-Ball or a 385gr Lyman Plains.

Thanks.

bearhunter said:
I have a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock with a 24" barrel and a 1in48" twist. What would be a good overall mould for it? By overall I mean deer, bear, and posibly moose in the future. I was thinking either a 370gr Lyman Maxi-Ball or a 385gr Lyman Plains.

Thanks.

You have probably picked the to best options available. Id suggest you get a box or two of each and shoot untill you know which (with what poder combo) works best in THAT gun and then buying the mold is the easy part.

I lean towards the 385gr Lyman Plains.

The very best accuracy I got with my old Deerstalker, was using a paper patched Lee Mini. It cut one hole at 50 yards, and ran about 2 1/2" at 100. I couldn't see any better than that with the Lyman peep I had on it. I think the powder charge was 80g of 2f Goex. I used the paper from a sewing patern, and natural lube 1000.

What caliber? Also, one must remember that shot placement is more important than many factors. No reason why you couldn't use a roundball.....

Back