• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Bullet mold for Pedersoli Gibbs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd check here first but I've acquired a nice Pedersoli Gibbs rifle. I'm needing a .449 diameter cast bullet mold 500 grains or above. I've borrowed a .542 mold but it's just a no go to size down to .449...to much deformation.

Correction...I borrowed a .452 mold and also tried a Pedersoli mold which says it is a .451 but actually throws a .452 bullet as well. Both very difficult to size to the needed .449. In fact, I broke the handle off my Lyman 450 sizer when trying to get a bullet through the die(.449):(
A .450 would probably work. I may have to "bite the bullet" so to speak and go custom. Thought I'd check here first.

I was just looking for .451 molds at Buffalo Arms and Dixie's. They both had a couple different styles in stock (although not cheap). A .452 should size to .451 super easy (unless maybe your not lubing or using hard lead?) For a Gibbs, I would guess 40:1 lead/tin would be soft enough. You should be able to size .452 down to .449 without straining too much. You could apply a little case sizing wax to the bullet before sizing if it get's stubborn for whatever reason. ;)

The die I'm using is from Buffalo Arms and fits the Lyman sizer. I started out using a 40:1 mix. They were very difficult to size to .449. I decided to try some out of soft lead and they were worse even when using case lube. These were what I was trying to size when I snapped the handle off my sizer. I may try the alloy again with the case lube...that is when I repair my sizer.

You might try Tom at Accurate. I did a quick search and found this one which is close and he has modified band diameters for me before on custom molds.
Bullet Design Details | Accurate Molds Tom's molds are top notch and reasonably priced. I don't know how far behind he is though but I guaranty that it would be worth the wait.

Back