• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

bullet casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at a "prepper mag" at the dentist office and it talked about casting bullets. The author talked about hardening them by dropping them from the mold into water. It's been a while since my hs physics class, but I think that shocking the bullets would make them brittle. Comments?

It only works with lead/tin/antimony alloys. Lead and tin alloy will not harden by water dropping but it will age harden over about two weeks a couple of BHN points!
With lead and tin alloys you max out at about 10-12 Brinnel after about 14 days but with oven heat treated lead/tin/ antimony in 90/5/5 ratio with water drop, you can reach 40 BHN and yes they are brittle.
Also lead/tin alloys begin to soften after about a year unless kept in a freezer which will maintain hardness longer.
Antimony alloys do not exhibit this spontaneous softening tendency.
I cast some wheel weights over 15 years ago with a water drop from the mold and they still are within a BHN point or two of when cast.
I'm told these are about a 92/4/4 ratio.

Back