• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet boards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I watched the 1947 movie "Unconquered" the other day. I noticed in a couple of scenes bullet boards being carried or used. I thought that was very interesting for the movie folks to get that bit in. I also noticed Gary Cooper, the main character carried what looked very much like a Jaeger rifle. I'm sure there are some other bits of gear to look for in the movie. Maybe I'll do that next time I watch. :hmm:

I was able to pick up the movie on a DVD. The movie was taken from a book published in 1947. I sort of figure the author must have had some sort of information or influence, if he wrote those bits in the book. If so, maybe he saw or heard his grandfather, or his own father use and speak about them. That would easily put the boards and their use way before the Jeremiah Johnson craze started.

I think there was at least one scene where it shows the board hanging from a strap attached to the shooting bag Cooper is wearing. There was another quick scene showing an individual possibly holding one over the muzzle of a pistol.

BillinOregon said:
I don't think anyone quite knows when bullet boards came into use in the historical record...
They become somewhat more common before/around the Civil War...

Cooper carried an Austrian Wender swivel breech flintlock, one barrel rifled and one smoothbore.

The gun belonged to Cecil B. DeMille.

One of the first movies I ever saw, it dealt with Pontiac's Rebellion and the siege of Fort Pitt, and had its world premier right here in Pittsburgh.

I loved the movie. I just haven't found any reason to use a Hollywood movie for documentation when journals and contemporary paintings don't have bullet boards.

Yes, I admit bullet boards are handy.

Ned roberts refers to them and photos from the 1870s show them. In The Great Guns one is showed with a the 'typical American Rifle' this was published in the 1930s. Every Musket shooter carriered one in his ammunition box, it was just a board with holes in it. We can argue for a month of sundays, but it comes down to one thing. We dont know when they were first used. Ned Roberts had one, but no body knows if Danial Boone or any one he knew had one.

Back