• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bulk Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What do you keep your shot in when you venture afield?

Shot Bag?
Pouch2.jpg

Shot pouch?
0509325.jpg

35mm film containers?
topmake_snappycrocbox_15.jpg

Something else?
question-mark.jpg

I use a Dixon Leather (covered, brass) Flask with dram charger. I used to use a slim, 18" long leather shot bag with a rat-tail'd end with Irish scoop on the other, but I gave that to my bro - I much preferred the Irish charger over the English variety. The scoop is much easier to use than the cut-off disk type, for me and will at some time in the future, put that on the flask I now use. I also have a leather ball bag that will allow up to .735 balls (brass entry pipe) that will also work with shot and a separate measure from the powder measure, attached with a leather cord.
: The canvas possibles bag with multiple inside pockets, is very nice for shotgun use - or rifle for that matter.

I have a homemade shotbag with English spout, and a powder flask ,in a canvas haversack...recently figured out that I was carrying a whole lot more powder and shot than I needed, so I've switched to a couple of quick loader tubes for my pocket, and load my first load from the shotbag and flask while at the car....when I first started hunting, right after the mamoth went extinct, I proudly carried a cartridge belt with a whole box of 12 ga shells...as time's gone on, and worn me and the Smokys down, I usually have about 3 extra shells in my pocket...same reasoning as my m-l load carrying...Hank

Not so traditional for me...I use sets of Blue & Gray (now owned by OxYoke) handi-loader tubes (a.k.a. speedloaders)one color set for premeasured powder charges, a different color set for premeaured shot charges

I use one of the leather Irish Style shot flasks, to carry extra shot. If i am duck or goose hunting, usually i carry pre-measured shot charges in corked empty .12 ga shotshell hulls, and then reload them from the flask as needed.

WOW... some really good ideas here. Until I figure out what I want to use, I will keep with the film containers that hold my shot. I can carry a loaded smoothie and four more shots which is all I better need... :winking:

MusketMan,
I used a shot snake with the Irish scoop and shoulder strap for carry. It held an incredible amount of shot and the scoop worked well for the 12 gauge trade gun. Then I built Der Schmiser (a yeager) and added a 20 gauge smoothbore barrel. For that I built a smaller leather bag, used the small end of a cow horn as a spout and carved a wooden plug to fit the hole through the spout. It has a belt loop near the plug end for hanging on my belt. It seems to work well, I measure the shot with the powder measure.
Leon

I personally like the regular type shot flask with the English head. It is a good thing that there are the 2 styles made, some love one and hate the other. I will say I have seen many orginal Irish style flasks that are missing their heads. I assume it is because the user didn't snap it properly into place.I have the shot flask that TOW sells and love it. The head is made by Pedersoli and it has a JUNK spring. But, the spring from and orginal will fit right in and work very well. Don't expect to get a day out of that Pedersoli spring and it seems there is no recourse but to put in an orginal spring. I also use a orginal powder flask and on one gun use an original shot flask. I hunt out of my pockets. Powder flask, over powder card and cushions in the right vest pockets and in the left vest pockets I have the shot flask and over shot cards. A turkey hunting vest is perfect for hunting with a shotgun, because of the pockets. A Ted Cash capper is around my neck.

I pre-roll mine in paper cartridge just like the powder charge. Tear the powder cartridge & powder down the barrel, left-over paper/wad is used on top with prerolled shot cartridge of the same size., just drop down the barrel & "tamp". Good coverage out to 50 yards using 2 & 4 shot in a 12 gauge & 30 yards using a 20 gauge fusil.
A belly box can be "split" to hold half powder & half shot charges. Very handy.

Back