• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bulk lead source on line???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roto Metals. If you're using a smaller pot like a Lee pot, i'd recommend ordering the smaller (1LB?) ingots as they fit better and cutting larger ingots down to size is a PIA.

Well guys, here's my situation... It would be free freight to the nearest truck terminal. They searched for everything under the sun that maybe closer to me, but the nearest truck hub that they can ship too for free is Glendive, MT to the South East (340 mi round trip). Since I live in the most rural area in the lower 48, the man (David) at Roto Metals talked to his boss about the situation. They do not send their truckers to rural areas, but they decided to bend their policy for me and would send a trucker all the way to my doorstep (well, near it anyways). In order to do this however, I would have to pay a freight fee of $650 for the 3,000 lbs for that extra 340 miles out of their way for me. I was kinda disappointed at first, and than sat down to think about what to do... Do I burn up the gas to go 340 miles, the wear and tear on my pickup, and the time I don't really have right now, to save on some freight charges??? That's alot of money extra than I was hoping for, but that is easily over half the price that shipping could be to me in my area. So, I decided to just pay the $650 and have them bring it to me. I have enough room nearby for an 18 wheeler to get in and out easily, and I always have pallet forks at the ready here. So, to shorten this up... many of you MAY qualify for free shipping if you are lucky (or unlucky) to live near civilization. "Nowhere" does have it's benefits, but for business and services it can be a major PITA! Anyhow, just wanted to report back in. Joel

Roto Metals. If you're using a smaller pot like a Lee pot, i'd recommend ordering the smaller (1LB?) ingots as they fit better and cutting larger ingots down to size is a PIA.
20 some odd years ago I had bought a bunch of 5 lb cakes of plumber's lead from a hardware store going out of business. I remember wacking away with a hammer and cold chisel to get usable chunks to fit in my tiny ladle. These Roto Metal ingots average around 60 lbs or so... that will be interesting!

20 some odd years ago I had bought a bunch of 5 lb cakes of plumber's lead from a hardware store going out of business. I remember wacking away with a hammer and cold chisel to get usable chunks to fit in my tiny ladle. These Roto Metal ingots average around 60 lbs or so... that will be interesting!
A Sawz-All is your fiend! I've heard that a chain saw can be used effectively if you go heavy on the bar oil.

I guess I would qualify for free shipping but then again I can't just walk out my back door and and shoot my 54. Front door either.
Well... even if you can't shoot much it still would be a good idea, in my opinion, to put away any kind of soft lead for when you might be able too. Lead is not going to get any cheaper, nor will it's availability get any better! Also, bullet/shot lead will always be in demand. To me, stacking up lead is an investment like some collect gold and silver. Think >>>BARTER<<<

A Sawz-All is your fiend! I've heard that a chain saw can be used effectively if you go heavy on the bar oil.
That kinda worries me about throwing lead into the air. I realize most of the lead would fall as chips on the ground, but there must be some finer dust one cannot see going airborne as well? To be safe, I am kind of thinking about going back to the cold chisel and hammer. Then again, maybe I am thinking too much of this...

That kinda worries me about throwing lead into the air. I realize most of the lead would fall as chips on the ground, but there must be some finer dust one cannot see going airborne as well? To be safe, I am kind of thinking about going back to the cold chisel and hammer. Then again, maybe I am thinking too much of this...
I bought 5lb ingots. I tried chisel and hammer, then axe blade and hand sledge. to break them down to pieces that would fit my pot. I know I tried something else too because it was such a PIA. Considered power saws but thought better of it. The bottom line is that it takes considerable effort to make big 'uns into small 'uns. Next batch I ordered 1 lb ingots. No more breaking them down.

I got the best deal buying 1,000 lbs of 60 weight ingots, or I would have certainly gone with the 1 pounders.

Probably will end up using a Sawzall, but will be sure to wear a mask in case of some airborne lead.

To be safe with the saw, wear a respirator.

Back