• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bulged Barrel Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a used TC Hawkins 50 cal, after receiving and loading for first time I’ve realized the barrell is bulged near the base, other than a new barrel what are some things a guy can do to rectify this problem, and is it safe to shoot Thanks ! *Extreme Newbie to the game*

I recently bought a used TC Hawkins 50 cal, after receiving and loading for first time I’ve realized the barrell is bulged near the base, other than a new barrel what are some things a guy can do to rectify this problem, and is it safe to shoot Thanks ! *Extreme Newbie to the game*

So by the "base" I imagine that you mean the breech, the closed end of the barrel that's next to the lock.
So you want to have the breech checked to make sure that as mentioned above, the breech area is safe to shoot.

IF the bulge is filled by loose powder when the normal powder charge is present, then you likely can simply remember not to use less powder than that "normal" charge, and shoot the rifle. However, IF the bulge is slightly ahead of where the normal powder charge sits..., then you can load a "filler" of something like cornmeal or grits on top of the powder, between the bullet or the patched ball and the powder. This will keep the projectiles from losing contact with the rifling, and you should be able to shoot the rifle with accuracy. I would not do this, however if the bulge is more than 1 inch beyond where the powder sits when the normal powder load is in place.

CORNMEAL BULG.png

LD

Thats good info right there Loyalist Dave and i like the drawing too.

Man id be leery about shooting that. Would it be a manufacturing defect or someone over charged the thing?

The club I belong to had a Pedersoli 50 cal that had a bulge somewhere around the middle of the barrel. It was bulged enough to be seen by sighting down the barrel. It shot fine and was an accurate rifle although it did feel a little odd when the ball was rammed through the bulge. As far as safety goes in the OP I would think that as long as there is no gap between the powder and ball it will be safe. That's unless the bulge is really severe like someone shot a smokeless charge. The crack in the wrist may indicate a severe overload or it may just be a coincidence. As mentioned it should definitely be checked out by someone knowledgable.

So by the "base" I imagine that you mean the breech, the closed end of the barrel that's next to the lock.
So you want to have the breech checked to make sure that as mentioned above, the breech area is safe to shoot.

IF the bulge is filled by loose powder when the normal powder charge is present, then you likely can simply remember not to use less powder than that "normal" charge, and shoot the rifle. However, IF the bulge is slightly ahead of where the normal powder charge sits..., then you can load a "filler" of something like cornmeal or grits on top of the powder, between the bullet or the patched ball and the powder. This will keep the projectiles from losing contact with the rifling, and you should be able to shoot the rifle with accuracy. I would not do this, however if the bulge is more than 1 inch beyond where the powder sits when the normal powder load is in place.

View attachment 140105

LD
Awesome insight LD and thanks for the response , I’ll do some some measuring on the barrel and get an accurate measurement on where the problem is, either way it’s a good learning experience which is important to me. Sometimes learning is expensive ha

The club I belong to had a Pedersoli 50 cal that had a bulge somewhere around the middle of the barrel. It was bulged enough to be seen by sighting down the barrel. It shot fine and was an accurate rifle although it did feel a little odd when the ball was rammed through the bulge. As far as safety goes in the OP I would think that as long as there is no gap between the powder and ball it will be safe. That's unless the bulge is really severe like someone shot a smokeless charge. The crack in the wrist may indicate a severe overload or it may just be a coincidence. As mentioned it should definitely be checked out by someone knowledgable.
My plan is to break the gun completely down and find someone around central Illinois to give it a good once over before I shoot it again, may turn into a part out gun or a nice conversation piece on the wall. Thanks for your input sir !

Me, I'd likely be more concerned about the crack in the stock and would definitely fix that. The previous posts about the bulge are pretty much spot-on. I had a longrifle years ago that had a slight bulge about the middle of the barrel. Mostly it went unnoticed until a tight patch was pushed in the bore. If the finger was carefully slid along the barrel flat it could be felt. But that rifle was my best off hand shooter and accurate in the extreme.

Get a barrel.
Cut off just fwd of bulge. New
breach and adjust lug, rib and ram rod. Lots of work.

Hoyt fan here, too. Personally, I'd be reluctant to opine that a flawed firearm is or is not safe to shoot, especially never having seen it, not being a gunsmith, nor holding a degree in metallurgy. From this remove, however, one may be excused for suspecting that with its cracked stock and bulged barrel this rifle was exposed to extreme internal pressure and the bulge isn't just an anomaly that slipped by the manufacturer's inspection. Having perhaps once only partially survived a catastrophe, every time I pulled trigger I'd wonder what reserve it now possesses before it fails dramatically. But that's just me.

If it has a visible bulge that is a sign that the barrel has been subjected to excess pressure. In addition to the bulge there are probably micro cracks in the metal which will drastically affect how much pressure it will be capable of handling. Not something I would consider safe to shoot. Whoever sold you that rifle has shown a total lack of ethics, Personally I would never buy a rifle that I couldn't see first.

Last edited:
Fix the stock and replace the barrel ebay and Gun Broker both have T/c hawken barrels for sale every day and you have time for inspection if it is not in good condition you can return for full refund

Back