• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Built a pistol loading stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1663.jpeg
When I went to my first BP range shoot last weekend, I had no idea this pistol loading equipment was needed. So I decided to build one. I'm definitely more prepared for my next range time!:)View attachment 13062 View attachment 13063 View attachment 13064 View attachment 13065
Good job! I personally do not like to have the hand grip Non supported. As other posters have said: they have seen pistol grips broken without support. Just shape a support and glue on some leather or felt.
Again, nice job, but you might want to add some support. You will never have to worry about having to use light/thin patches or going easy with your loading.
Flintlocklar:)

Yes, the stand will sure help with loading my pistol.

What I liked about your build was that it folded. I saw one other fellow's stand, which he made for his BP revolver. It folded, too. Cool feature.

One thing you had also said is that you looked at some internet examples of loading stands. I wasn't able to find many at all in my searches. Would you happen to have any of those links to share? I may build another one someday, and different ideas are always helpful.
:ThankYou:

Great job o/p on the stand. I built a "multi use" ML stand to use at my gun club. They are awesome for ease in loading . Heres my stand :

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/fabbed-a-multi-use-stand.108484/#post-1459279

Appreciate that, Larry.

You definitely have yours "shaped to fit." As you read in this thread, I added that small grip support block when MLF folk saw I really had no grip support. Not exactly sure on your suggestion "to add some support?"

Although this project was fun, it was also challenging. I don't have many tools to work with, and really don't have a true workshop. In fact, some of the wood cuts I made were with a hand saw, and I did that bunch of wood screws all by hand. I don't have a good Phillips bit for my small electric drill and didn't want to strip the heads, or miss and mar the wood. I improvised one thing, which actually made me laugh at myself (out loud!). I don't have a solid work bench, no vise, or no clamps. The way I secured the two sides to the back wall (which I had mounted to the base), was to tie two quite long shoe strings around the three sides. I inserted a piece of scrap wood in between the sides to hold them steady while I screwed the sides on. Yes, I did sit there and laugh at that. :D I really didn't think it would work, but it did! I need some additional tools if I go for another build, or even some other wood project.

Thanks for your comments.

View attachment 13275 View attachment 13277
Good job! I personally do not like to have the hand grip Non supported. As other posters have said: they have seen pistol grips broken without support. Just shape a support and glue on some leather or felt.
Again, nice job, but you might want to add some support. You will never have to worry about having to use light/thin patches or going easy with your loading.

Appreciate that, Larry.

You definitely have yours "shaped to fit." As you read in this thread, I added that small grip support block when MLF folk saw I really had no grip support. Not exactly sure on your suggestion "to add some support?"

wiksmo,
Sorry for my confusion. My reply was to your first post which I quoted. I got trigger happy and posted my reply to you before I had read the following posts. Your modification and final result will do the trick.
Flintlocklar

This time "confusion" is a good thing!:rolleyes: I really couldn't figure out what I was missing....

wiksmo,
Sorry for my confusion. My reply was to your first post which I quoted. I got trigger happy and posted my reply to you before I had read the following posts. Your modification and final result will do the trick.
Flintlocklar

View attachment 13275 View attachment 13277
Wishing again that the site had a “like a heck of a lot!!” button!

Appreciate that, Larry.

Although this project was fun, it was also challenging. I don't have many tools to work with, and really don't have a true workshop. In fact, some of the wood cuts I made were with a hand saw, and I did that bunch of wood screws all by hand. I don't have a good Phillips bit for my small electric drill and didn't want to strip the heads, or miss and mar the wood. I improvised one thing, which actually made me laugh at myself (out loud!). I don't have a solid work bench, no vise, or no clamps. The way I secured the two sides to the back wall (which I had mounted to the base), was to tie two quite long shoe strings around the three sides. I inserted a piece of scrap wood in between the sides to hold them steady while I screwed the sides on. Yes, I did sit there and laugh at that. :D I really didn't think it would work, but it did! I need some additional tools if I go for another build, or even some other wood project.

For this post too!! ^^^

Saw something similar to this on another site; did some modifications to add cylinder loader & allow for folding; makes a nice portable unit. The .223 brass allows for loading large or small arbor cylinders.
Definitely NOT the artwork of some, but very practical.
JohnIMG_20190809_170507.jpg IMG_20190809_170534.jpgIMG_20190809_170507.jpg IMG_20190809_170534.jpg IMG_20190809_170542.jpg IMG_20190809_170559.jpg IMG_20190809_170607.jpg

My plans are to go to another shoot next Saturday. As long as the weather agrees and I get there, yup, will work on posting a range report and notes on how the new stand works. Looking forward to it.:)

Be sure to give us a range report !

Nice stand

Here are my two loading stands. The first is made out of some 5/4 re-purposed poplar shelving, is heavy and a prototype. The second is made out of some cherry I had laying around the shop. They both come apart for travel and the one made out of cherry can double as a display stand. I copied the design off the stands that are used over at the Alifia Rendezvous held here in Florida. That's my Traditions .50 caliber Kentucky pistol in the stand which is my go to pistol for shooting.
Heavy Stand.jpg
Cherry stand.jpg
Cherry stand apart.jpg
Cherry stand display.jpg

Back