• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building yet another NW gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I have missed this whole thread! What's wrong with me? I just walked through all the pages and really enjoyed this process. Not too often do you get to see the stages of a gun built like this. Thanks Rob!

I love having it in the cabin :)
IMG_20230202_085856.jpg

It has been great, watching the progress on this gun, and I’m very pleased to see a professional builder making authentic, affordable, top-quality trade guns. I got a nice one in 20 gauge from North Star West about a year before they abruptly closed, and a 24 gauge Northwest gun from Caywood. I guess I’m fixed, but I like to see proper guns available for those who appreciate them. Danny Caywood is still building, but I understand he is looking for a way to retire. We are lucky to have @Rob M. stepping into the breach.

Rob, have you thought about introducing a trade pistol as a companion for your long guns? NSW used to offer one, and I think the long-defunct Green River Forge was the first to bring these to our attention with their “Factor’s Pistol.”

Just curious, mind you…. I do not need another gun, I do not need another gun…

Notchy Bob

It has been great, watching the progress on this gun, and I’m very pleased to see a professional builder making authentic, affordable, top-quality trade guns. I got a nice one in 20 gauge from North Star West about a year before they abruptly closed, and a 24 gauge Northwest gun from Caywood. I guess I’m fixed, but I like to see proper guns available for those who appreciate them. Danny Caywood is still building, but I understand he is looking for a way to retire. We are lucky to have @Rob M. stepping into the breach.

Rob, have you thought about introducing a trade pistol as a companion for your long guns? NSW used to offer one, and I think the long-defunct Green River Forge was the first to bring these to our attention with their “Factor’s Pistol.”

Notchy Bob
Very kind words . I'm no professional just a hillbilly that loves trade guns and has a couple wood chisels , LOL ! I'd love to offer a pistol , a trade pistol , what a shocker ! , and have made a couple but that's down the line a bit . I want to get to the point of making NW trade guns at a reduced price first hen perhaps branch out into the same with a companion pistol and Type G at reduced prices . We'll see .... I he price of a scratch build pistol is just too much . I'd be embarrassed yo ask a grand for a pistol and that's what it would have to be ...that's silly. I'll try and find pics of my pistol . I patterned it after an original and it turned out nice .

Last edited:

Notchy Bob
I really liked this pistol . it went to Texas . 20 ga.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-121139.png
    Screenshot_20230202-121139.png
    613.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230202-121143.png
    Screenshot_20230202-121143.png
    633.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230202-121150.png
    Screenshot_20230202-121150.png
    861.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230202-121200.png
    Screenshot_20230202-121200.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230202-121222.png
    Screenshot_20230202-121222.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 0
Greatly enjoying this thread. Rob, your eye for the proper line is nothing short of magic -- and that you can tease it out of a piece of walnut in all its glorious perfection with a few rasps seems a miracle to a wood butcher like me.
Why thank you Sir , very kind . I am so glad other folks like my guns :)

Rob has got me hooked on building these guns...!
They are fun to do....! Mostly because you can make just about every part on the gun. Except the barrel and lock....Fun times...
See ?!! You've caught the bug ! I'd love to be on here 6 months from now and everyone is in the process of building a NW trade gun for themselves ! That would be awesome !! :)

I have been wanting to build one for a long time, there is just one part I can't find. Since I am a southpaw, it seems impossible to find a left hand side plate. is there even such a thing?

I have been wanting to build one for a long time, there is just one part I can't find. Since I am a southpaw, it seems impossible to find a left hand side plate. is there even such a thing?
I have had the same dilemma. Except I wanted a French gun. No one makes them left handed nowadays, despite the fact that there are two photographed in Kevin Gladysz's book on French trade guns.

But then I realized that once upon a time, I owned a double barrel shotgun, and having two locks never bothered me then. No matter which side a man shoots from, with a double, there's always going to be a lock inches away from his nose.

So I just admitted to reality, and bought a bog standard fusil de chasse parts set from Track of the Wolf. I've been shooting that right handed gun left handed now for nearly three years. And it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

The beauty of trade guns is that in the eighteenth and nineteenth century, they were all built to pattern, almost cookie-cutter like. It kept costs down. Then the hunter who had a trade gun adapted his shooting to the gun.

It will take a bit of practice getting used to a bit different loading technique. But after a few sessions at the range, you'll manage it.

I have had the same dilemma. Except I wanted a French gun. No one makes them left handed nowadays, despite the fact that there are two photographed in Kevin Gladysz's book on French trade guns.

But then I realized that once upon a time, I owned a double barrel shotgun, and having two locks never bothered me then. No matter which side a man shoots from, with a double, there's always going to be a lock inches away from his nose.

So I just admitted to reality, and bought a bog standard fusil de chasse parts set from Track of the Wolf. I've been shooting that right handed gun left handed now for nearly three years. And it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

The beauty of trade guns is that in the eighteenth and nineteenth century, they were all built to pattern, almost cookie-cutter like. It kept costs down. Then the hunter who had a trade gun adapted his shooting to the gun.

It will take a bit of practice getting used to a bit different loading technique. But after a few sessions at the range, you'll manage it.
FYI ...... The French Fusil de Chasse side plate can be used with either side and I know a guy that makes wonderful left hand serpent side plates for NW trade guns

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670634972484~3.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634972484~3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Jack Garner makes them . Here's a pic of a NW gun I made with his side plate

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670634941610.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634941610.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
Jack Garner makes them . Here's a pic of a NW gun I made with his side plate
do you have contact info, I have wanted a trade gun for years, but being a lefty made it really hard to build, I can use a L&R left hand Queen Ann lock, the barrel is ambi but that darn sideplate, I just could not find one.

do you have contact info, I have wanted a trade gun for years, but being a lefty made it really hard to build, I can use a L&R left hand Queen Ann lock, the barrel is ambi but that darn sideplate, I just could not find one.
Hi bud ....I'll post his Facebook info and you can get ahold of him that way . If you dont do FB get ahold of me again and I'll see if I can find his number in the gun shop ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203-230125.png
    Screenshot_20230203-230125.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
Back