• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building the Rifle Shop's Hakenbusche Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was fun just watching. I'm pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with no patch or super patch lube. 😀 I can feel the Rifle Shoppe twisting my arm from way over where they are. Have you ever considered adding the matchcord lever?

It was fun just watching. I'm pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with no patch or super patch lube. 😀 I can feel the Rifle Shoppe twisting my arm from way over where they are. Have you ever considered adding the matchcord lever?
I did think about it. Decided not to because most of the shooting will be done at the range. Using a piece of fuse gives me a few seconds of time to deal with proper aiming to make sure it stays in the berm. Using a punk makes it super easy to deal with separation of burning ignition sources from the reloading procedure. Mounting and dismounting a match cord on every shot would be a pain. If I ever decide to hunt with it, the fuse and a lighter would do away with a smoking matchcord giving away my hiding place. I am not going to rule it out, just not going there right now..

Last edited:
Using a piece of fuse gives me a few seconds of time to deal with proper aiming to make sure it stays in the berm. Using a punk makes it super easy to deal with separation of burning ignition sources from the reloading procedure. Mounting and dismounting a match cord on every shot would be a pain. If I ever decide to hunt with it, the fuse and a lighter would do away with a smoking matchcord giving away my hiding place. I am not going to rule it out, just not going there right now.
What length of fuse are you getting away with?

What length of fuse are you getting away with?
I use a slow burn cannon fuse. I am cutting them about 1-1/2" long.
I have not timed them, but from the video they appear to burn about 3-4 seconds before the main charge ignites.
I did try the primer in the hole method but the ignition was instant! Did not give me any time to aim!
An S lever and a match cord would solve that but I just don't like the ones with the long trigger bar.

Thanks for allowing us to follow this. I have seen videos of European reenactors firing these. Saw what I believe may have been an original once at an auction where the guy was a GI in Europe at the end of WW2 and "liberated" lots of antique firearms. (He had an odd 7 bore 22RF rifle that looked like a single barrel break open shotgun but fired all the bores at one time) I sure that starts some heads shaking when you get to the range.

Thanks for allowing us to follow this. I have seen videos of European reenactors firing these. Saw what I believe may have been an original once at an auction where the guy was a GI in Europe at the end of WW2 and "liberated" lots of antique firearms. (He had an odd 7 bore 22RF rifle that looked like a single barrel break open shotgun but fired all the bores at one time) I sure that starts some heads shaking when you get to the range.
Most of the group I am around know that when I show up it has good odds of being something different.
I love it when they want a chance to take a turn or two. (The Bess is always popular)
Others, like the young man that shot the Haken on it's maiden outing, usually just wants to hear a little history about them, which I eagerly share.
That particular individual is one of the owners of the property and was a major force in the range development. The "range" so to speak is on several hundred acres of a much larger ranch and they sport rifle, pistol, trap, skeet, sporting clays, (4 runs totaling about 8 miles of trails.) along with a long range sections with targets at 250-850 yards spaced every 50 yards. and distributed across a large area with a couple of valleys and a creek with lots of brush and trees. It's a lot like a hunting trip!

Thank you for the compliment! It was a very enjoyable build.
The barrel was complete except for the finish.
The barrel depth of bore is 7-3/8"
The vent is 7" from the muzzle.
So the touchhole is 3/8" from the bottom of the bore. The end of the bore is about the middle of the last large barrel band.
View attachment 28888
Griz: I forgot to thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

Rick

Is there a breech plug in the barrel ?

Back