• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to get a VDO of me shooting it soon , I know you guys wanted that . Then some pics after I brown the barrel ....
Nicely done Rob I’d say you’ve done a couple of them before,looking forward to seeing it finished and you hitting the barn door 😆👍.This has been an interesting thread and a long one showing lots of interest by all watching I’m sure. Nicely done sir. Walt

Nicely done Rob I’d say you’ve done a couple of them before,looking forward to seeing it finished and you hitting the barn door 😆👍.This has been an interesting thread and a long one showing lots of interest by all watching I’m sure. Nicely done sir. Walt
Thanks bud :)

Yep , its all fixed now . Its a dandy !
Yes ,very nice ignition.looking forward to pictures when all done.you do realize Rob a lot of us gun nuts sort of
Envious of guys with your kinda talent or maybe jealous is the right word.I wish I had a guy with your skill and talent for a neighbor and bud .👍 walt

Yes ,very nice ignition.looking forward to pictures when all done.you do realize Rob a lot of us gun nuts sort of
Envious of guys with your kinda talent or maybe jealous is the right word.I wish I had a guy with your skill and talent for a neighbor and bud .👍 walt
You do now bud ! Seriously ... If I can build a decent trade gun anyone can ...I'm clumsy , forgetful , disorganized ....I can't even sharpen a chisel ....but I'm bull headed and determined ....thats what it takes :) you gotta want that sucker !

Here’s my problem child Rob 🤞

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Looks nice ! Something wrong with it ?
No just been a chore trying to get a good pattern at 25 yards,that is to my standards but I’m thinking maybe 25 yds is pushing it.After all it’s a 28 ga .556 bore and maybe I’m trying to stretch the barrel.The good part is my granddaughter taught me how to post pictures,every body likes pictures.Somy gun has a 36.” Barrel a L& R Queen Anne lock and a l& r trigger and a maple stock.Ive been having a little trouble getting 2 f powder in the main charge to go boom.I finally got some 4 f to prime with,could’ve to much oil when cleaning but I run a alcohol patch before shooting but that’s something I’m gonna have to figure out when the snow goes,hopefully soon .I think my girl is a good teacher to teach an old dog something new.Walt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 0
No just been a chore trying to get a good pattern at 25 yards,that is to my standards but I’m thinking maybe 25 yds is pushing it.After all it’s a 28 ga .556 bore and maybe I’m trying to stretch the barrel.The good part is my granddaughter taught me how to post pictures,every body likes pictures.Somy gun has a 36.” Barrel a L& R Queen Anne lock and a l& r trigger and a maple stock.Ive been having a little trouble getting 2 f powder in the main charge to go boom.I finally got some 4 f to prime with,could’ve to much oil when cleaning but I run a alcohol patch before shooting but that’s something I’m gonna have to figure out when the snow goes,hopefully soon .I think my girl is a good teacher to teach an old dog something new.Walt
Hmmm ....what size is the touch hole ? I'd bet its too small .... For tighter patterns ....have you tried shot cups ? 36" barrel is a bit short for much past 20-25 yards though .....

Hmmm ....what size is the touch hole ? I'd bet its too small .... For tighter patterns ....have you tried shot cups ? 36" barrel is a bit short for much past 20-25 yards though .....
I opened it up to 5/64” and paper shot cups did improve it but I’m hoping 2 f well help a little, with 3 f and 45 grns and 60 equivalent shot I’m getting not bad patterns to about23 yds .I just hope 2f we’ll improve it it just a little.walt

She is a problem child ! The lock is a poor design because the flint touched the frizzen , or d@mn close before but now with the frizzen sole added its much worse and holds the frizzen open so ....what to do . There are a couple options ,different tumbler , longer sear , bend frizzen but all these things open Pandoras box with many complications so I just thought about it for a couple days . What I'm going g to do is weld up the square hole in the hammer / cock and re cut it so it sits back a bit further than it does now . Thats the best fix ... I like it . Its funny .... I came THIS close to buying a bunch of parts ,kit , for a trade gun lock . I had thoughts that it may be something to try , make my own locks , thought it would be neat . The price actually turned out to be the same as my whole sale price for the Early English so I changed my mind at the last second . Thank goodness.... I'm sure it would have been like this locks problems ....probably x10. ! Dodged that bullet ... Now to get this one squared away .... First picture Is how it should look at half cock ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_195056.jpg
    IMG_20230328_195056.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230328_195035.jpg
    IMG_20230328_195035.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I opened it up to 5/64” and paper shot cups did improve it but I’m hoping 2 f well help a little, with 3 f and 45 grns and 60 equivalent shot I’m getting not bad patterns to about23 yds .I just hope 2f we’ll improve it it just a little.walt
Good stuff you've done ... Yeah , thats probably the outside limits of its range but keep trying . My guns with 42" barrels 25-30 is max range ... For ignition ....if the touch hole is in the correct position , most important , than I like to cone the TH with a 3/32 bit . Drill the existing TH with the 3/32 bit a bit , no more than half way , no need ....it cones the TH for faster ignition . Trade secret , dont tell no body. :) if the TH is not in the right position though nothing will help, it will have to be fixed , changed to correct position ....

Good stuff you've done ... Yeah , thats probably the outside limits of its range but keep trying . My guns with 42" barrels 25-30 is max range ... For ignition ....if the touch hole is in the correct position , most important , than I like to cone the TH with a 3/32 bit . Drill the existing TH with the 3/32 bit a bit , no more than half way , no need ....it cones the TH for faster ignition . Trade secret , dont tell no body. :) if the TH is not in the right position though nothing will help, it will have to be fixed , changed to correct position ....
Rob it has a white lightning liner and it is already coned but I got where your coming from with the3/32 bit to give it a little more,not sure how the liner is constructed on the inside as to how much to cone it if you get what I’m trying to say .thanks walt
Ps with 3f in the main charge and 3f in the pan it goes boom no problem,I looked down the bore and every thing looks right.Th is just a head of theBP ,I’m sure I will get it eventually.

Back