• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well .... shiite ....I've hardened it twice and the file still cuts into the high carbon steel . ...and I have no idea why it would do this . I never took it above temp to burn out the carbon . Frustrating ....to say the least . Not sure what to do with this frizzen as if it will not harden it is useless to me and I'll have to go with my back up plan but ....there is absolutely no reason for this not to work . Oh well .....
Rob, you seriously need a break, really. How bout a nice relaxing trip to the beautiful hill country of central Mississippi, nice accommodations in the middle of nowhere, steak and whiskey every night, lots of nice woods to wander through, and you could even help me with my trade gun.

Rob, you seriously need a break, really. How bout a nice relaxing trip to the beautiful hill country of central Mississippi, nice accommodations in the middle of nowhere, steak and whiskey every night, lots of nice woods to wander through, and you could even help me with my trade gun.
LOL ...actually sounds great but can't ....gotta get back on Dave's Carolina Gun :)

Understand, it’s going to be hot here soon anyway.
Oh yeah ,true true ....you dont need some fat Scottish Yankee guy down there driving you crazy complaining a out the heat ! LOL. ! :D .... Love seeing the progress on your Carolina Gun !

The Carolina gun going to Wyoming ... Im still bedding the barrel ...its got .060 left to go down at the breech ...the black in the channel is full length of the channel so it ain't terribly far from bedded ... Couple hours more probably ....then ramrod channel and such ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_181236.jpg
    IMG_20230322_181236.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230321_155441.jpg
    IMG_20230321_155441.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
LOL !! And ....dont ask me how ! I did the same d@mn thing I did the first 4 times ! This time the file just slid across the face , no catch , and I knew it had hardened .....finally ! Sparks great ! And right down in the pan too ! Go figure ! I'm exhausted , LOL ...Now ....back to work on the Carolina gun ..... :)

Beautiful job! Sparks like the fourth of July. My brother had one of Curley’s North Star West, (a later one I think) and the geometry was all wrong, too large a cock and a real flint basher. Did not spark at all well.

Great job re-soling the frizzen!

TIP for locks (without a fly) catching @ 1/2-cock:
Make or replace with a little stronger sear spring … yes, someone needs to apply a little bit more finger pressure, it does increase the trigger pull 1/2-pound, but the person will pull past half cock notch. I have also successfully modified sear springs, by shortening the lever end against the sear a tad.

Thanks bud ... I love , well , did love this lock because its a Curly lock but ...MAN ! So many things wrong with it , even still . I'm not trying to be Mr. Ned Knowitall , and could never design a flintlock , but I have my hands full trying to make this a dependable lock .
Beautiful job! Sparks like the fourth of July. My brother had one of Curley’s North Star West, (a later one I think) and the geometry was all wrong, too large a cock and a real flint basher. Did not spark at all well.

Great job re-soling the frizzen!

TIP for locks (without a fly) catching @ 1/2-cock:
Make or replace with a little stronger sear spring … yes, someone needs to apply a little bit more finger pressure, it does increase the trigger pull 1/2-pound, but the person will pull past half cock notch. I have also successfully modified sear springs, by shortening the lever end against the sear a tad.
I did fix that part , slight bevel on half cock notch . Works good now . I've fix many of those back in the day .

Back