• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carve the tang finial ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_164603.jpg
    IMG_20230314_164603.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230314_170950.jpg
    IMG_20230314_170950.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
50/50 is about as plain and old as you can get , LOL . You might want to try an experiment with what you got . I've always stayed with 50/50 , no core flux stuff just plain solder just because I soldered lanterns with it for over 20 yrs. so I know it well . Unfortunately I can't advise you on any other type because I just font know . I would think any solder would be good and strong but I've never tried any other . If you could solder some practices pieces and see youd be getting some knowledge . I remember my first solder joint practices and then beating the lugs sideways with tools to see how strong they were , LOL ...never had one move but did deform the lug . Best of luck
I have Rosin Core solder. Looking at plain solder it looks like its more lead. I can get 50/50 at the box store Canadian Tire, just my local one doesn't have any. Will have to wait until I go to the big city!

I have Rosin Core solder. Looking at plain solder it looks like its more lead. I can get 50/50 at the box store Canadian Tire, just my local one doesn't have any. Will have to wait until I go to the big city!
Why dont you try that rosin core bud . If it dont work its easy to file and wire wheel the barrel clean again , its on bottom too ... It might be just fine . Just keep that flame moving around heating barrel and lug not CE and slowly , that barrel is s heck of a heat sink . I put the Breech in a vice , bottom of barrel up , front supported. I can sight down the barrel to make sure the lugs are centered , and when all three are on there that they all line up straight . It doesn't have to be perfect but the straighter the better ... I have all lug positions marked with a ring around barrel , marker , then I wire wheel spot clean , ring mark still visible on sides , I flux the lug , after wire wheel , and flux the barrel. Rub it a bit , both ....I have needle nose near by at all times ....I flatten solder with hammer flat . I start heating the barrel on both sides of the lug , lug on barrel. And something underneath a's it will fall a couple times unfortunately , LOL .... Back and forth with the heat going over the lug top too slowly but not stopping , it'll burn the flux ....when flux starts to sizzle a bit t, torch in one hand solder it other , take flat solder and just touch the front or rear of lug , it'll take couple times but the solder will melt eventually band the solder will be sucked under the lug , keep that torch moving over barrel and lug , if it never does suck the solder under grab the needle nose and look under the lug , it'll probably be black , te flux the barrel and lug , wipe them ....then , do it all again . I know , I know ...its a slow pain . dont let it cool down ....reflux then lug back up there . When it does suck the solder under there , front and back , you sight down the barrel. do rear most lug first and sight down from rear , and center it straight up and down , touch with pliers or the like to center it ... You'll see the solder change color , from shiney to dull , and its set ..... then ....on to the next lug .... For test you can take a tool of sorts and slide it down barrel hitting g the lug on the side ... Good luck bud .

Why dont you try that rosin core bud . If it dont work its easy to file and wire wheel the barrel clean again , its on bottom too ... It might be just fine . Just keep that flame moving around heating barrel and lug not CE and slowly , that barrel is s heck of a heat sink . I put the Breech in a vice , bottom of barrel up , front supported. I can sight down the barrel to make sure the lugs are centered , and when all three are on there that they all line up straight . It doesn't have to be perfect but the straighter the better ... I have all lug positions marked with a ring around barrel , marker , then I wire wheel spot clean , ring mark still visible on sides , I flux the lug , after wire wheel , and flux the barrel. Rub it a bit , both ....I have needle nose near by at all times ....I flatten solder with hammer flat . I start heating the barrel on both sides of the lug , lug on barrel. And something underneath a's it will fall a couple times unfortunately , LOL .... Back and forth with the heat going over the lug top too slowly but not stopping , it'll burn the flux ....when flux starts to sizzle a bit t, torch in one hand solder it other , take flat solder and just touch the front or rear of lug , it'll take couple times but the solder will melt eventually band the solder will be sucked under the lug , keep that torch moving over barrel and lug , if it never does suck the solder under grab the needle nose and look under the lug , it'll probably be black , te flux the barrel and lug , wipe them ....then , do it all again . I know , I know ...its a slow pain . dont let it cool down ....reflux then lug back up there . When it does suck the solder under there , front and back , you sight down the barrel. do rear most lug first and sight down from rear , and center it straight up and down , touch with pliers or the like to center it ... You'll see the solder change color , from shiney to dull , and its set ..... then ....on to the next lug .... For test you can take a tool of sorts and slide it down barrel hitting g the lug on the side ... Good luck bud .
Awesome instructions! I'll give her a go. I have an octagon barrel, just round the last 4" at the muzzle so I have a flat to work off! That should make lining them up easier.

Awesome instructions! I'll give her a go. I have an octagon barrel, just round the last 4" at the muzzle so I have a flat to work off! That should make lining them up easier.
Oh shoot ...I forgot about it being Oct. bud .... You can dovetail them in if you prefer . Takes a three corner file

Late to the party as usual, but is that bench used in a series of youtube videos on building a flintlock rifle from scratch? It sure looks like the same workshop.

Very nice work so far, thanks for sharing it!

Late to the party as usual, but is that bench used in a series of youtube videos on building a flintlock rifle from scratch? It sure looks like the same workshop.

Very nice work so far, thanks for sharing it!
Nope , no YouTube VDOs made here bud . But now I want to check them out and see ! LOL ... Just a bench I threw together in 2004 or 2005 out of scrap wood I found and jaw I found ...the screw part I bought for $5 in 1996 and been carrying around with me since . Has served me well over the years .

Rob this is the video I confused with your work shop, looking back I see he has a pattern makers vise, but the window proximity to your bench was familiar.

Yeah , I had forgot about your barrel . Dovetail it bud . both ways are a pain but dovetail ain't bad ? Have you done that before ?
I may do a very shallow dovetail by hand. Scott at Colerain says there's enough thickness there. Soldering will also save a potential screw up on that part as well!

Rob this is the video I confused with your work shop, looking back I see he has a pattern makers vise, but the window proximity to your bench was familiar.

Ahw , thanks bud . I was very curious. Appreciate it ...now if I can hold the phone up in the air long enough to watch it ! LOL ...living in the sticks !! :D

Back