• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well ! Finally ...she's gone and I got my head above water financially again ! Ugh ! So ....I'm going to build me yet ANOTHER N. W. Trade Gun and hopefully it will never be sold because of money issues , as the last 5 have . Any who ....I warn you , this will be one LONG draw out build as I am busier than a one armed paper hanger with the crabs and will only be able to work on it a little here and there . Today I said " Hell with this being a trade gun builder and not have a trade gun !" manure so I cut out a stock to get the ball rolling . I'm going to order a tapered barrel blank from Ken here this afternoon and after it arrives I'll grind and file the flats then start barrel inletting . Today I just cut out the pattern shape ....gotta start somewhere. :)

I know how you feel! I hand forge edge tools: mostly knives, a few tomahawks and one axe to date. Do I currently one any of them? Nope!! Well I take that back. I still have a bearded axe and a Scottish dirk. The axe I use and the dirk sits on my dresser. So maybe I should say I currently don’t have any belt knives that I actually use !! I have about five orders I have to get to before I can even start on one for myself!

IMG_20230209_162615.jpg

It will be a slow build , I apologize. I have one to finish for Texas , one to finish for Tennessee , two to start for Missouri and gathering parts for one for Wyoming .....SHEEW ! Very thankful.
I have a feeling that this gonna bea very interesting and educational ,I’m all eyes and ears.good luck.👍👀
I’m not gonna miss this.thankyou you for sharing this with us Rob I hope to learn a lot.Walt

I know that having very good, sharp tools is the foundation of good work on just about anything. That frame saw you have there, Rob, is the loveliest I have set eyes on.
Ain't that somethin ?! My friend Randy up and made that for , just out of the blue ! Its amazing ! Good friends are better than gold any day.

Back