• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decisions , decisions ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_190909.jpg
    IMG_20230329_190909.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
the second lock is the best option if it fits your mortise, otherwise, its a tumbler rework. and good luck with that

the second lock is the best option if it fits your mortise, otherwise, its a tumbler rework. and good luck with that
Funny you'd mention that ...I started fitting the new lock to the NW gun today , man its a better lock but , no go . The bolster on the new lock is wider and sits away from the barrel too far so the wood is shy , and the front screw is so far forward it misses the new plate ...so won't work . I've done the switch before on an original Curly gun but it didn't have the front screw done and had lots of wood left to work with , I'll post pics , just found them last night . I Wang d to keep the lock and side plate and I used them m on a gun I made for myself later . So ...I will rework the cock and or the frizzen for clearance ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329-222724.png
    Screenshot_20230329-222724.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230329-222646.png
    Screenshot_20230329-222646.png
    693 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230329-222700.png
    Screenshot_20230329-222700.png
    733.1 KB · Views: 0
Rob just a thought but couldn’t you just heat and bend the cock where it’s thin ,probably won’t take that much.
Walt
Yeah , im going to bend the frizzen first and the cock too . I tried , checked a couple other ways bit not really do able or as easy ....

@Rob M. have a question for you. Do you pin your ram rod pipes or fold over the tabs?
A wonderful depth gauge that Hershel House showed me is an approximately 1" x1 " 4" piece of wood ....( size is approximate and no exact , not too important ) drill hole in he might dfle of that length , .078 " , and put in a finish nail , same diameter .... Oh ts a wonderful depth gauge for making lines on the sides of your stock such as I described earlier ....big help .

A wonderful depth gauge that Hershel House showed me is an approximately 1" x1 " 4" piece of wood ....( size is approximate and no exact , not too important ) drill hole in he might dfle of that length , .078 " , and put in a finish nail , same diameter .... Oh ts a wonderful depth gauge for making lines on the sides of your stock such as I described earlier ....big help .
I have an adjustable marking tool that I made that works good, along the same principle. But the wood block and nail are great.

Attachments

• 424ABFDB-1ADA-44D2-882A-E81938328A15.jpeg
    424ABFDB-1ADA-44D2-882A-E81938328A15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • B0B92466-F7B9-4CA3-A16D-34567CFB9768.jpeg
    B0B92466-F7B9-4CA3-A16D-34567CFB9768.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Oh cool ....I used a micrometer for my first dozen and it sucked ,LOL .. That little block is a life saver ! Works so good ... Hmmm.....thats , .....wild looking . What ever works for ya . Have a good one
I have an adjustable marking tool that I made that works good, along the same principle. But the wood block and nail are great.

Back