• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building Matchlock smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought I would let you know, I am starting to build the gonne for the brass lock I did last year. I was afraid that the maple tree that the men cut down in the front yard of the parsonage was silver maple and wouldn't make a good stock. Well! It is hard! And it has a few curls here and there. I thought I would get the barrel in wood today, but got only a third of the way there.
volatpluvia

Com'on Vol' (forgive me, it's a Tennessee thing)yur jus baitin' us. Throw some pics up here so we can watch!

TN,
I might post some pictures at critical junctures along the way. Maybe when the barrel is in. Then maybe when the lock is in, etc. It looks really rough, the sides of the plank are still chain sawed. :barf: :shocked2: :)
volatpluvia

Here are some pics. I finished settling the barrel into the wood today. Then I spent about four hours with the common hand rip saw. I should have visited wulf!

mgonne001.jpg

mgonne002.jpg

mgonne003.jpg

mgonne004.jpg

mgonne005.jpg

mgonne006.jpg

volatpluvia

Nicely done! Not at all difficult to envision the finished product. However, I now know where my missing oil lamp-sans shade-went! How'd ja do that?

This morning I tapped the underbarrel lugs back in. This evening I inlet them into the barrel channel. Then I marked measured and very carefully drilled holes for the pins. Then I put a wood screw into the already drilled hole in the tang. Sorry, the barrel is used and I am not running a bolt through from the bottom that is big enough to tap into the hole that is already there just to be period correct. Every thing came out perfect.
Now to inlet the lock.
volatpluvia

This evening I was slicing wood off around the breach area, preparing to place the lock.
I had forgot how satisfying it was to saw, chisel and plane wood. I have spent the last three years building wheel type locks. Oh, yes, and the lock for this matcher. I hadn't done any wood work in that time. A sharp blade in the two hand plane or the spoke shave produces a glassy smooth surface. Whatever species this tree was it is hard and dense.
volatpluvia

wulf,
My gonne building has come to a screeching halt for the next couple of months. We have just been informed that we are no longer needed at the church where we have been associate pastors.
So I spirited (pun intended) my gonnes and building stuff up to our daughter and son in law's house in PA. My only job at the moment is to pack like crazy and find a job and a place to live in PA.
We are happy and relieved with this turn of events, but do need to get jobs and house.
volatpluvia

volatpluvia said:
We are happy and relieved with this turn of events, but do need to get jobs and house.
volatpluvia
Good luck in your quest for a house and job; I hope you find both soon! Emery

Volatpluvia,

Good luck and I'll be praying for you. Hope you get an assignment and are back to building soon.

Bioprof

Well.....Good luck to you...Your a fighter and
I am sure you will have no trouble...

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. We are making good progress packing for the move. Now...where to? Probably have to bunk with the mother in law for a little.
I might be able to set up to build there and get back on the internet.
volatpluvia

Praying for you and yours, hope ya get back to us soon and find what your looking for.
Gods time, Gods time. :thumbsup:

I don't know you as yet , but I trust that the Lord has bigger and better things in store for you . Just trust in Jesus.

Daniel

Thanks, Ofie
The church got the news today. We've had a few interesting conversations since noon.
volatpluvia

Back