• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building First Rifle, Wrong Breech Plug!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadBasket95

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey Y'all

I finally ordered the components for my first rifle, a "Dickert" kit from Pecatonica. .45, caplock.
20220923_190142.jpg

Problem is, the barrel came with a breech plug already installed. I'm sure some would be grateful as I didn't have to pay for the service, but it's the wrong plug.
20220924_213503.jpg
20220925_111554.jpg

I'm having a helluva time getting it off as the fit is immaculate, so I'm wondering what y'all's thoughts on this are. The barrels are in short supply so I'm not sure I can get a replacement, and it sounds like removing factory plugs is ill-advised. Should I cut my losses and take an angle grinder to the tang? Or get better tools and install the proper plug?
The rough cutout on the stock for a flared tang is wider than the straight tang, so I'll have to fill in that gap somehow if I keep the plug.
20220925_113725.jpg

I'm brand new to this, all I have are books and determination, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Perhaps heat the tang and spread it to match the flare of the stock.
Otherwise, how tight can a newly installed breech plug be. Then it's just a matter of indexing the desired breech plug to the barrel.

proceed slowly. speed creates regret's. Phil gave the best advice. see if Pecatonica will do the swap out, or just get the correct tools to do the job. with the correct vice jaws and a heavy wrench you will be startled by the plug suddenly letting go. remember to use the wrench from the bottom of the plug extension.

At this stage I’d replace the breech with the one that’s flared. Pecatonica should be contacted to see if they will make it right.
I'll try to get a vice and get it off, it's in there really snug.
Pecatonica is a good outfit and it is their mistake. Send the photo and they will make it right. Don't use the wrong plug!
Larry
I'll call them tomorrow and see if they'll take it off or ship me another barrel. I believe this was the last .45 cal, 7/8ths, 42" barrel they had.
proceed slowly. speed creates regret's. Phil gave the best advice. see if Pecatonica will do the swap out, or just get the correct tools to do the job. with the correct vice jaws and a heavy wrench you will be startled by the plug suddenly letting go. remember to use the wrench from the bottom of the plug extension.
Very good advice.

If you can't get a replacement barrel, see if you can find a competent builder nearby who can pien it out and refile shape to fit the inlet.

Just called pecatonica, this was their last 7/8ths, .45, 42" barrel so there's not much they can do for me. So I gotta get the plug out myself. In "The Gunsmith of Greenville County" the author advised to check the fit of pre-installed plugs anyways, so I'll treat this like a learning experience and get some proper tools for the job.

Just called pecatonica, this was their last 7/8ths, .45, 42" barrel so there's not much they can do for me. So I gotta get the plug out myself. In "The Gunsmith of Greenville County" the author advised to check the fit of pre-installed plugs anyways, so I'll treat this like a learning experience and get some proper tools for the job.
Part of getting a kit, is more than just bolting everything together. With any kit there are areas that will have to be problem solved to some extent. Just chalk this up to this being a "built rifle".

It looks like you have the correct breach plug in your hand am I not correct in saying that? Your problem as I see it is that the barrel came with a straight tang breach plug. SO -- all you have to do is unscrew the straight tang breach plug and screw in the flared tang breach plug - no big deal. If you are saying it is screwed in VERY tightly then get a bigger wrench or add a cheater bar on your existing wrench - again I don't see the problem. :dunno: . If you don't have a vise big enough, then find a buddy that does have one or go to a machine shop that can remove the plug for you again I don't see a problem here. If all else fails, then sell this kit and buy a finished rifle because you will only screw up this kit:rolleyes:.

A straight plug is appropriate for a straight sided barrel. The barrel should be swamped. If your happy with a later, straight barrel, then change the plug.
You have to remove the plug to finish fitting the back end of the barrel anyway. So take the straight one out, and fit the new one!

It looks like you have the correct breach plug in your hand am I not correct in saying that? Your problem as I see it is that the barrel came with a straight tang breach plug. SO -- all you have to do is unscrew the straight tang breach plug and screw in the flared tang breach plug - no big deal. If you are saying it is screwed in VERY tightly then get a bigger wrench or add a cheater bar on your existing wrench - again I don't see the problem. :dunno: . If you don't have a vise big enough, then find a buddy that does have one or go to a machine shop that can remove the plug for you again I don't see a problem here. If all else fails, then sell this kit and buy a finished rifle because you will only screw up this kit:rolleyes:.
You're correct in pointing that having all the necessary resources to solve a problem does indeed solve the problem. If I assumed everyone always had access to the tools they need I would also be confused. After getting access to the proper tools, I was able to get it out.

Soak the breech plug in automatic transmission fluid for a few days. That may help loosen it. People tend to put breech plugs in a damned sight tighter than necessary, trying to index the plug, rather than do a proper fit. I will concede in a production shop, short cuts are more common than scratch builds.

Latest posts

Back