• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building demos...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, as many of you know I do alot of volunteer work at museums within an hour of my house. Recently two have contacted me about doing some building demos at their events. I agreed, being that I am in the middle of building a couple of guns at the moment. After giving it some thought though, I wondered... have I gotten myself into something too deep?? I have PC chisels and mallots and plan to place a cloth over my vise so it appears to be a period piece. Does anyone have some advice on a good way to effectively do a gunsmithing demo for a crowd of say 10-30 people? Thanks!

:hmm: How hung up on PC are the museums? It only means a lot to a cohsen few.to the rest of us ,oh well.

I don't think these museums will be too touchy about it. I am focused on it for my own satisfaction though, because the other tradepeople there are usually fully loaded out with period equipment from doing this sort of thing quite often.

Ypu might look for a post vise anyway. They are not too expensive and mighty handy. From there, you look for somekind of support prop for the other side of the gun.

CS

I volunteer at a state park in the gunsmith shop. I have found a few things to be constants.

If you want to be actually getting any constructive work going, have a partner there that can do a 2 to 5 minute spiel on the basics. Most visitors will think that they don't know enough to ask questions, and are just impatient enough to want a "sound bite". They are shocked and amazed with lock, stock and barrel and an explaination of the flintlock mechanism.

Having a stock blank, an unfinished gun and a similar finished gun is a big plus to explain the process. Don't be surprised if they are amazed with things like draw filing, and simple carving demos. I find that consentration is tough at times, so I will prep wood for practice pieces for any days that I want to do a carving demo.

Hope that this helps! :hatsoff:

Thanks alot... it certainly helped. Luckily I have one Fusil in an almost finished state, and a rifle that is about 40% done. I plan to go through the lock mechanism, maybe differentiate between the smooth fusil barrel and the rifled barrel, and perhaps even do a demo during the day on carving using scrapped wood for the visitors.

Latest posts

Back