• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a Tennessee Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will never forget my first long rifle. Plans from a book. .36 caliber for squirrels and it was deadly. I head shot every squirrel with the flint lock. But it was heavy and thick. I was young with little money so I used planks for all of mine bought from a kiln, $30 for huge curly maple. Enough for 3 guns.
That gun was so heavy I had to lay on the ground to shoot up in the shag bark hickory trees, seemed like half the tree would come down on me, then the squirrel. Then I learned to make them right, thin and slim with carving and made all my brass parts that I engraved like the old ones.
Then I went to a swamped barrel. Two weeks just to inlay the barrel. I would leave the stock 1/8" larger for deep carving, then take to final form. Every spare second for 6 weeks. I made all of my own tools and a deep drill for the ramrod holes. I wish I could still do it but got too old. I made many for family and friends, pre cut stocks with kits that are the devil to carve. Lyman made a great kit but still hard to carve.
You fellas are making some wonderful guns.
To carve I tried all kinds of store bought chisels and they don't cut. Maple must be cut cross grain or it chunks. Get a few old triangle files and with a Moto Tool make a V chisel at the end. That thing will slice wood like nothing else.
I moved to modern custom rifles and taught myself to checker on a home made cradle. I do not use a border on checkering, the border is to hide over runs.
100_1277.jpg
Carving.jpg
flinter.jpg

Now that I am old as dirt I need a value for my work since my daughter will get all of my guns. Everyone is waiting for me to go so they all have dibs on my guns. The checkered rifle is a 1919 Swede, 6.5x55 that does 1/4" at 100. Cherry wood that fell in my woods.
A secret for you fellas, never use wood straight from a kiln or what you cut. It will shift so get it dry. I have a dry basement with 40 to 42% humidity so I stack wood down here for a month even when dried in the barn for years. Pre cut first. My furniture I made has never changed. I made this pie safe for the wife from white oak and a coffee table.
pie safe.jpg

I am proud of all of you that love wood.
I even make my own bullet molds but have not made a swing cutter for round balls. The adventure is worth it. I am now almost 82 and see what you youngsters do and love it. Have no fear and do it. I have been afraid when a friend brings a rifle and a $300 plank for me to make a stock. It will sit for me to stare at for a long time before I cut. Of course he wants it checkered too.
I was always at the Log Cabin in Ohio for parts. The seen my work and wanted me to make guns for them but I would go broke. I made a long rifle for my brother in law and he took it there. They asked who made it and he told them. They said yes, they know me. Wes Kindig passed but his son Dan is still there. Sadly I had to move far away for work, 42 years at United Airlines and had to go to Dulles with a lay off. I am in the eastern panhandle of WV. Little town of Bakerton and have my own range to shoot. Anyone close can come and shoot or chew the fat. You need something fixed, it is free as I need no money.

Now that I am old as dirt I need a value for my work since my daughter will get all of my guns. Everyone is waiting for me to go so they all have dibs on my guns. The checkered rifle is a 1919 Swede, 6.5x55 that does 1/4" at 100. Cherry wood that fell in my woods.
A secret for you fellas, never use wood straight from a kiln or what you cut. It will shift so get it dry. I have a dry basement with 40 to 42% humidity so I stack wood down here for a month even when dried in the barn for years. Pre cut first. My furniture I made has never changed. I made this pie safe for the wife from white oak and a coffee table. View attachment 7003
I am proud of all of you that love wood.
I even make my own bullet molds but have not made a swing cutter for round balls. The adventure is worth it. I am now almost 82 and see what you youngsters do and love it. Have no fear and do it. I have been afraid when a friend brings a rifle and a $300 plank for me to make a stock. It will sit for me to stare at for a long time before I cut. Of course he wants it checkered too.
I was always at the Log Cabin in Ohio for parts. The seen my work and wanted me to make guns for them but I would go broke. I made a long rifle for my brother in law and he took it there. They asked who made it and he told them. They said yes, they know me. Wes Kindig passed but his son Dan is still there. Sadly I had to move far away for work, 42 years at United Airlines and had to go to Dulles with a lay off. I am in the eastern panhandle of WV. Little town of Bakerton and have my own range to shoot. Anyone close can come and shoot or chew the fat. You need something fixed, it is free as I need no money.
it is free as I need no money.

Need no money, I am not wealthy, but comfortable and free, I know the feeling "45man

Latest posts

Back