• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

building a rifle as a newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Frustrating. When companies tell you they have the components, tell you they have shipped the components and you don't get the components.

How do you build a rifle without a stock that they told you they had in stock and when you call they say they will never get them in ever again? And yet they ship everything else you order? You have to call to find out the stock will never be shipped to you?

What do you do with parts and no stock? I don't need inventory.

I want to build my first rifle. There is something fundementally wrong with this.

Send everything back and then go buy a Chambers kit if a kit gun is what you want. You CAN order a blank piece of wood and use those parts then send the barrel & wood to someone to inlet the barrel & drill the ram rod hole. If the person you send the wood & barrel to can also rough shape the wood to the style/school you want to build less the inleting for the lock. This will save you a lot of extra work. Don't give up --- you have options :thumbsup:

What are you needing? And where have you tried to get it?
If Track doesn't have it, have you tried Pecatonica River? Or one of the others that machine stocks?
Could you build from a blank?
You could have a blank sent out and have the barrel channel and ramrod hole done, might get you going?

Edit: What he said while I was typing :surrender:

I feel your pain, but I seldom get all my parts from one location, and never when I need them. But hey, it's the mark of a gunbuilder to be patient and slow. For example, I just traded a friend out of a new .54x1" Green Mtn barrel he had sitting around for years. I have a Leman capbox, and all I need are the rest of the parts and a stock blank! Being disabled and on a fixed income, I plan on buying or trading month by month until I've got all I need for a fullstock Leman trade rifle. Check out some other sources for your stock and forge ahead, the wait will be worth it and it will be Your Gun.:grin: I pray for your success. Treestalker.

one vendor mentioned is part of the problem and the others phone has been busy for over three hours like they don't want to take a call from a customer.

I think there is something fundemental in the books I have been reading about building a rifle.

You have to start with a piece of wood for a stock? But being a lefty I should know by now that pickins are slim for us.

You got taken. Call them and tell them that you're shipping all those components back. Never heard of such "shady dealings". If they won't refund your money, please let us know the name of this company......Fred

The first thing you need to develop if you are going to build your rifle is patience. And I'm not saying it to be mean, but just about every one of the muzzle loading builder suppliers is one or two man operations.

It's not like calling customer service of a multi-national. If Jim at Chambers or Jason at Rice sat at the desk all day answering the phone all day they would never produce any product at all.

So yes, you do have to "keep trying" to get through and then spend time talking to them (which is maybe why you get continued busy signals) - address all your concerns and make sure they have everything you want, in stock, and ready to ship. They won't get offended if you tell them "I want all or nothing - no waiting for "out of stock" items".

Many of us who build or hobby build have learned that it sometimes takes a year to get your whole box of parts together for a given build.

Now, if you only plan on ever building one or two rifles, going with the builders kits is maybe the way to go.

But in particular, because you are a "lefty" you may want to independently source your parts.

Knob Mountain probably has the ability to produce more stock patterns than anyone else - including a good number of left handed patterns. That may be an option. But, you won't get a box of parts with it - you are not buying an entire kit. You would select your lock, other furniture, trigger etc - piecemeal it together - and sometimes that means waiting for stock.

I have sometimes waited months for a lock and in at least two cases, over a year for a barrel.

These are small operations you are dealing with...

If I am understanding your post then you asked if everything was in stock for the kit including the wood precarve stock an the answer was yes. Then when you receive the package you are minus the stock of which they said they had and had shipped. If thats the case then you have been outright lied too :shake: an I would send the parts back an demand a full refund.

I think the "point" of the OP is being lost....he's a newbie and wants a "kit" w/o any ordering complications....which will come soon enough when building.

The supplier he ordered the "kit" from isn't trustworthy...he had to call and find out that the precarve he ordered isn't available, but the rest of the parts were shipped anyways.

Making excuses for errant suppliers and lectures on "patience" isn't what this beginner needs.

Most newbies don't have the knowhow to "piecemeal" a build.....that's why they order a "kit" {parts set}.

Hopefully jdw276, after you get your money refunded, you'll order a "kit" of your choice from Chambers.....Fred

I order a left handed Isaac Haines from Chambers at Friendship back in June during the spring shoot. As its a 45 caliber B weight barrel I was told up front that it might be a couple months for the stock as it was not in inventory. Barrel came in a couple weeks. Most of the rest a couple months later. Then a couple weeks after that the ramrod pipes and spring vise. So not even the best names in the business will have everything on hand. What makes them best in the business though is they are up front and honest about it.

Thank you all. I looked at knob mtn's website and don't see where they inlet the locks or trigger as a service. Does not mean they don't, need to call.

If totw and pec river are 1-2 person shops ok. One has not picked up the phone or responded to my email query.

I was excited to get started on my build with the parts I ordered. I know it will be quite a period of time and effort to complete the project. Thinking I could start my project, laying out stuff, looking at my tools sharpening, etc has been fun. To be told parts are in stock, shipped and not receive the first thing you need to start, the stock, means you can't even start on your project.

Very disappointing. This is not like they don't have a trigger guard to finish the project, I can't even get started. No offer to make it right either other than, sorry not in stock and won't be receiving any more.

Chambers ships "fresh" precarves right off the profiler.....this eliminates warpage and twisting. Rec'd a precarve from another supplier that was in inventory for quite awhile judging from the twisted and warped fore end. Promptly shipped it back...the entire "kit".

Have built 3 Chambers' early Lancasters and all the precarves were excellent and posed no problems.

Sometimes if a customer is neglected, "somethings up"........Fred

I would try The Rifle Shoppe. They always have the parts you need and ship in a timely manner.

NOT!!!! :rotf:

Lack of components/ parts seem to be a common issue. CertainTypes of gun barrels seem scarce these days. You're not alone in your pain.

While I prefer to NOT build from a kit, Chambers is the only kit I will assemble for a customer. I've built at least a dozen or more. They ARE the best.

Cabin Creek/Brad Emig's kit are way better than average,on par with Chambers'. I'd not hesitate to order from him at all.

If you are happy with the parts, I'd just get a stock elsewhere and work a refund for the stock. How can a company expect to sell parts kits without stocks anyway? If you send it all back for a refund, who knows how long it will take for a refund or even if they will make it difficult to give you a refund.

I've never tried to call TOTW, but have phoned Pecatonica a number of times and was always able to get through, they sounded like they were busy but still answered all my questions. I've also emailed them several times and received prompt replies.

jdw276 said:
If totw and pec river are 1-2 person shops ok.

I don't know about Pecatonica, but ToTW is certainly not a 1-2 person operation. I have never had an issue with them as their website seems to always be quite accurate about what's in stock vs "wait 60 days" "wait 90 days" etc that they list. I've also purchased things that I looked at and decided to return...Zero issues. Emails always returned promptly and phone answered.

I do think Chambers has "easier" kits as the barrel channels are pretty much snap fit except for squaring the breech end and more shaping pre-completed. But even Chambers can make a mistake...though correction is immediate.

Net is, you do have many options. I, too, have been frustrated at times with the traditional muzzleloading "supply line." But as stated, many of these operations are very small shops...most are very honest and will right a wrong if it happens. But patience is definitely a virtue. :wink:

Besides Tracks and Chambers, I wouldn't hesitate to work with Brad Emig at Cabin Creek.

Back