• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a 5/16ths inch steel rod. I have a 5/16ths inch and a 3/8ths inch ram rod tips. I knew the 5/6ths tip would be to small to tap and thread for the rod and the 3/8ths is too large but just by a wee bit. Loose slip fit. I was thinking my options are file the rod to fit the 5/16ths and thread and or or solder. or just solder the 3/8ths tip on the rod?
Suggestions?

Not only does a cross pin work better, it looks better too. It shows that you are taking the time to hand-perfect a relatively minor part.

Same thing with rivets for the muzzle cap, (though MC's get FAR less stress put on them than RR tips). Glue would probably hold a MC, but the mechanical bond of a rivet makes sure it stays, and adds a point of visual interest.

I have now fit the 5/16ths rod to the tip. Threading is out of the question. Epoxy or solder that is the question?
For a 5/16” diameter range rod, why not tap a 10-32 thread into the end of end? You could then thread virtually any type of rod tip (loading or cleaning jags, brushes, or ball pullers for example) directly into your range rod. Anyone that has access to a lathe could do it for you in a matter of minutes.

Back