• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing a little pistol work as well

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_165154073.jpg
    IMG_20210311_165154073.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 79
How come nobody likes the belt hook?
My girl said the same thing.
I like the look.
At least with a belt hook you can take it off if you want and it doesn't affect the gun too much. 😁

Yeah Zonie, it's not above it. The lock is sticking out a little bit.
I am taking it slow because obviously you can't put wood back on there once it gone..
It could probably go down another hair or two. 😎View attachment 72830View attachment 72831
No. That lock looks good. The brass sideplate could go a bit deeper though if you make the edge break the same all the way around it. It seems to dissappear around the front screw location.

Well guys, I have officially screwed this thing up.
I was trying to bed the barrel at the breech because I had just a little bit of a gap at the bottom.
It was small. I should have just left it alone.
I bought some Pro Bed 200 and put a little bit behind the breech plug and up to the tang.
I followed the directions or so I thought.
I know where I went wrong but it doesn't help. The release wax that comes with the Pro Bed, I didn't buff it.
You are supposed to apply it like car wax and then buff it off. For some reason I skipped that step. I put it on there. I just didn't buff it and reapply a few times like I should have.
I got in a hurry and I seated the barrel in the Pro Bed and left it to dry.
The barrel is now stuck to the stock and it's not coming out without destroying the stock.
I think I have two options at this point.
1. Go ahead and finish the thing the best I can the way it is. I won't be able to get any finish under the barrel.
2. Break the barrel out of the stock and clean it up, then buy a new stock and start again.

Any thoughts on an option 3?

Well, you live and learn. I'm disappointed but I'm not going to cry about it too much.
I did it myself.
I should just buy another piece of wood and make my own stock.
:doh:

IMG_20210416_090350208.jpg
IMG_20210416_090440285.jpg

Dave Person!!! :)

Man, I owe you a couple of beers.
If you were anywhere in NC I would come find you and give you a big "bro hug" 😄

Your suggestion worked like a charm in just a couple of minutes.
Not only that but the epoxy left a nice flat barrel shaped surface.

I can't say enough how helpful you have been to me so far on this project.
If I can keep from making any more mistakes this gun will turn out fine.

I hereby dedicate it's successful completion to Dave Person.
Without your sage advice and wealth of knowledge I probably would have botched this long ago.

Thank you so much for being who you are. :cool:

Okay, now let's see if I can keep moving without messing this up.

Well guys, I have officially screwed this thing up.
I was trying to bed the barrel at the breech because I had just a little bit of a gap at the bottom.
It was small. I should have just left it alone.
I bought some Pro Bed 200 and put a little bit behind the breech plug and up to the tang.
I followed the directions or so I thought.
I know where I went wrong but it doesn't help. The release wax that comes with the Pro Bed, I didn't buff it.
You are supposed to apply it like car wax and then buff it off. For some reason I skipped that step. I put it on there. I just didn't buff it and reapply a few times like I should have.
I got in a hurry and I seated the barrel in the Pro Bed and left it to dry.
The barrel is now stuck to the stock and it's not coming out without destroying the stock.
I think I have two options at this point.
1. Go ahead and finish the thing the best I can the way it is. I won't be able to get any finish under the barrel.
2. Break the barrel out of the stock and clean it up, then buy a new stock and start again.

Any thoughts on an option 3?

Well, you live and learn. I'm disappointed but I'm not going to cry about it too much.
I did it myself.
I should just buy another piece of wood and make my own stock.
:doh:

View attachment 73355View attachment 73356
So Macrow, tell us about the kit. What is it, caliber, Walnut, where’d you buy it?

It is a 1733 French Dragoon/Cavalry flintlock pistol kit from Muzzleloader Builders Supply.
It's a 12" barrel bored to .62 caliber.
American Walnut stock with brass furniture.
It had the barrel, ram rod, lock and buttcap mostly inlet when I got it. It has taken me quite a while to get to this point. It's been a lot of work. As you can see, Dave Person has saved my butt and kept me on track through out this project. I hope to be getting some finish on this thing by the end of the week.
:cool:

It is a 1733 French Dragoon/Cavalry flintlock pistol kit from Muzzleloader Builders Supply.
It's a 12" barrel bored to .62 caliber.
American Walnut stock with brass furniture.
It had the barrel, ram rod, lock and buttcap mostly inlet when I got it. It has taken me quite a while to get to this point. It's been a lot of work. As you can see, Dave Person has saved my butt and kept me on track through out this project. I hope to be getting some finish on this thing by the end of the week.
:cool:
Well, I had sent my request to you to tell about the pistol BEFORE I went to the first page and saw all the information in your initial post! Oh well, she’s going to be beauty for sure. Having built several rifles and Fowlers,I have long wanted to build a pistol and am still taking in every bit of information I can on kits vs scratch builds. I’ve looked at these kits before and really liked them. It always helps to see what they actually look like rather than the promotional pictures on a site. Thanks and good luck!

I am following your post with interest, you have certainly chosen a beautiful (but challenging) pistol to start with and I like the way you are overcoming the problems! Here in the UK we don't have the Manufacturers that can supply enough parts to build anything close, saying that, there are still a good number of hand-built pistols around. The only down-side is they are either registered and on your Firearm Certificate or inert and I for one have always said 'I won't buy or own anything that doesn't go bang!' Purely for test purposes of course!

On a side note: My girl took her kids and her sister and stayed the weekend in the NC mountains. While they were there she went to some antique store and sent me pics of this horn. I actually told her to pass but she bought it anyway.
So, I decided to see what I could do with it.
I pulled the plug out and sanded it down. I actually used inlet black to bring out the carving. Sanded it to 600 and lightly buffed it.
Then I carved a new plug and stopper from a piece of walnut I had laying around.
Looks pretty cool
I'm going to find a strap for it.
The pics are the progression from the store to now. :)

received_596146734652861.jpeg
received_486862322365837.jpeg
received_465120891212484.jpeg

IMG_20210420_153406126.jpg

IMG_20210420_153652973.jpg
IMG_20210420_193134455.jpg

Latest posts

Back