• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a matchlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Rudyard
What is this in English?:dunno:
Forum rules all posts in English!šŸ˜
Were I Geordie I would comment: Why nar na. divvint yee knar rudyard anglish in which ah hev becum flooent.

Were it Yorkshire then: Why neya. dooant theur norrz rudyard english i' which ah av become fluent.

I'se been larned proper m'luvver.šŸ˜‰

MATCHLOCK CARBINE (TUFANG) UNIQUE TO THE PUBLIC (MUNITION) WORKSHOPS AT SERINGAPATAM, BY ABD AL-QA(DIR), DATED THE MAWLUDI YEAR 1226 (1797-98)
bon ser m:l.png

here is the pan and cover plus a couple of triggers I forged up today. The pan cover is just some scrap light steel which I think will also make a nice trigger guard. One of the triggers is forged out of quite thin material, the other out of the same plate at the but plate. I may well have to make another trigger once I have morticed in the lock, as I wonā€™t be sure of the geometry till I try fitting it up. I may need a lot more reach than these triggers might give me. Looks like they are quite easy to make. I forged the pan out of an old railway spike. Used it as a handle when I drilled out the pan, and drilled and tapped the pan pivot. View attachment 40042

Not sure about this attachment business, I cannot bring it up so I will now repost the picture.
P1030558.jpeg

Well yes its Yorkshire English but the terms are correct in the Tippoo Sultan or Tippoo Sahib. He was the Sultan of Mysore southern India based at Serringapatam. He sided with the French and would feed his tigers with British merchants (Though their calling had little relevance .they where meat & that was enough ). Reasonably We that is the East India company took exception to this carry on .So we sent a force in part commanded by Arthur Wellesley (Later the Duke of Wellington) to stop Tippoos antics in 1799 and ' King Georges blue plums' (lead ones fired from Brown Bess ) settled his hash for good . Frightfull fellow ! BUT he was a gun nut and had lots of bizaare looking guns made includeing these replaceable with flintlocks & matchlocks with automatic pan covers . All his guns incorporated a twisted leaf shaped motive impression of the Tigers stripes called' Bubberies' . . All very unique and fascinating. Refer Robert Wiggingtons' Firearms of Tippoo Sultan ' I must try get a photo to the post or via Heelerau which will illustrate these locks & guns one picture worth a thousand words. I doubt Mr Wiggington will object as it promotes his fascinating book . I trust this clarifies any confusion . Arthur Wellesley lead a force at the battle of Placey in 1804 utterly routeing the apposing thousands of Native forces .He learnt his trade in India .
Regards Rudyard

I see Reawald put up the Tippoo matchlocks & you can see the' Bubberies' shapes I also put Placy when I should have put Assaye dates right though .
Rudyard.

Last edited:
Hopefully the pics will reach you via Heelerau soon . Robin Wigington died about 2'000 I have a note in his book .Pity but great photos of fabulous (overworked term but fitting in this case ) guns Our Tipoo had made . Note the fluted barrels wonderfull work but origin ??? . Some one may know if they turn up ( invariably sans the inset poincion) in Omani guns of often lesser standard . Oh the mysteries of the East !. fascinating stuff .
Regards Rudyard

Rudyard,

Still haying here.....
The interesting thing about Tippu's fluted barrels, it that they too have the poincon missing!....as though he also got the barrels froma second hand source.
I have seen the odd Sind matchlock with a barrel of this type, but we are really still in the dark as to where they originated.

Dear Pukka. Robin Wigington describes them as' reused Indian barrels' but he may be in error in this he also says there are ' Persian couplets ' 'Sayings?'. Ile dig out the few I have ex Major Corry .one I know has the section with intermittent flower like decore along the mid section & I had an axe had the same motives it had a Kula cud too but alas I sold them . There used to be an auction joke that ran" Don't scratch your nose you might end up with a suit of Saracen armour " That's no longer the case. If I sent pics from Robins book would you run them on this post ? Gordon's going back to work & cant do them from work. Cheers Me /Rudyard

Dear Rudyard,

Send the photos along.
Might take me a bit as hay is driving me mad this year. So humid it won't dry!
Got some dry today, then wind blew it all over the field so needs re-raking into windrows!
I have a couple of those barrels as well...Look like copies of some good Italian stuff from the 1500's.

Best,
Mesel'.

Dear Pukka. Cool Bananas will send now Sorry about the hay '.These things are sent to try us' And seem very successful at it ! . As it suits you unless you have Wigingtons book ? Cheers Me

I did try but they are in PDF format and I don't know how to sort them. Hay making can be a real p i t a !

Attachments

• SC5580626320080714291.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 156
Just sent Pukka some Tippoo pics maybe his system can deal with the pics ?. All one to me I'me not wired by nature to follow this E magic . and we don't have a 5 year old to explain it !. I did get to see four or so pics of the rock drill special in Zululand .
Cheers Me/ Rudyard

No photos arrived yet, Rudyard old mate.

Normally, a couple of days and we can move hay and get it baled. This year it's taking a week.
Been the year of baling "Nearly dry" hay...

Will reply to your "E" address, Gordon.

Latest posts

Back