• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a matchlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to go ahead and finish the gun. Have been fine tuning the shape and filing and scraping the wood smooth.

Have also made the cut nails for the butt plate, and made and installed the sights.

I wet the wood to raise the grain 2 times with water, and the last time with Basalmic vinegar to give the wood a more even tone. I will start appling the oil varnish and BLO over the next week or so.

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

You're doing a nice job, Okawbow!

When I made my first, I got comb too high and it bit me. Had to reducce it a bit!

Again, good work.

Yes, I Fanaly got logged in! Have been trying for ages.
Haven't been here for a coons age.

Rick, good to "see" you here, and the other blokes I know . :)

Richard.
(Pukka B. to some)

Hello Bill not in Oregon,
Yes, the same one...... (Pukka Bundook)

Good to see you here.

I haven't been able to log in for Years, but somehow did so yesterday.

I didn't know you liked matchlocks. :)

All best,

Richard.

I thought you were you, John!
Our mutual pal Rudyard thunk you were a different bloke somehow....

Different gun my old mate. This one is Light to the point of wondering if the outside of the barrel is any bigger than the inside!
Bit less humid tonight. Hay has sat a few days, and gets no drier! Nearly ready to bale, but it was days ago!

Sorry to hear you are all dried out. I'll send you some . :)

Raedwald hay season is always a bit stressful, with breakdowns and the weather, trust you eventually got your hay off. I deliberately had a look at a dead skunk when I was staying with my rifle smith mate Neil in Vernal years ago, was surprised to find this one smelt not unlike our Australian foxes. I have a chap over here with some sort of Indian toreador, I am going to check it out and see if it can be used, might try it out on crows !!

Dear Pukka. You have posted earlier in the Pre Flintlock at least you put my W lock pics on for me .Yes I confused Raedwald with Greenswilde . Gordon is going gang busters on his M lock .

Are we a Matchlock' band of brothers' ?. I've allway's thought so. Our NZ Cup for M lock was called the ' Brother hood of the burning rope ', If most went with snap matchlocks rather than the common sort found on most military M locks .( Other than the Venetian ones being all snap locks )and for target shooting the snap match locks are the best choice and I made more of them of all varients than I have with the common locks .I do fancy one of the Tippoo Sultan ones with' Bubaries' and automatic pan covers ( readily exchanged with a flint lock ).' Buberies' are leaf shaped Tiger stripes Our Tippoo was Tiger mad . But he suffered from a surfeit of King Georges blue plums at Serringapattam in 1799. All good stuff .
Regards Rudyard

I do fancy one of the Tippoo Sultan ones with' Bubaries' and automatic pan covers ( readily exchanged with a flint lock ).' Buberies' are leaf shaped Tiger stripes Our Tippoo was Tiger mad . But he suffered from a surfeit of King Georges blue plums at Serringapattam in 1799. All good stuff .
Regards Rudyard
Sorry Rudyard
What is this in English?:dunno:
Forum rules all posts in English!😁

Last edited:
Back