• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a matchlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the breech plug sawed out and drilled the vent hole. Today, I took the barrel to the range and test fired it. Used a double load of 2F black powder and 2 1/2 ounces of #8 shot, with 2 over powder wads, 2 cushion wads, and another over powder wad on top.
I measured the barrel in several places before the shot, and again after firing. No change in measurements at all.
The lug on the breech plug left a 1/4" dent on the backing block.

Now that the barrel seems good to go, I can begin inleting it in the stock.

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

I hand cut the ramrod groove and drilled the hole today. Everything came out good. Made the ramrod groove and hole 7/16" so I can use a hickory rod and not worry as much about breaking it. I also made barrel lugs from an old car fender steel, and soldered them to the barrel. Drilled for 3/32" pins.

Everything fits good so far. Will try and get more pictures soon.looking for a .735" Roundbball mold. Don't want to pay a dollar a ball with shipping.

As a fellow matchlock builder well done. It is coming together great. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Work on the gun a few hours today. Made the serpentine jaw screw, the trigger guard, and the butt plate. Please excuse the screws :wink: I will make nails later when the parts go on permanently.

Also was able to shape the butt stock a little. Lots of wood left to remove.

More progress today, but only worked a couple hours between bow making.

Shaped the fore arm and more on the butt stock. Still more to take off, but will shoot it first and see how it feels. Still bulky but shoulders really nice and balances well. weighs 10 1/2#.

Made and installed the metal band that holds the ramrod in the groove.

Still need to make sights and nails for the butt plate.

So far my total out of pocket cost for this gun has been the $40.00 paid for the barrel steel. All other parts have been made by me from scrap steel, including the screws. I helped a friend saw a walnut log a few years ago and got the stock blank for my time.

A new Lyman mold would cost more than the rest of the gun :grin: .

I may just make my own mold blocks as I have in the past for my .62 Hawken.

Back