I got the breech plug sawed out and drilled the vent hole. Today, I took the barrel to the range and test fired it. Used a double load of 2F black powder and 2 1/2 ounces of #8 shot, with 2 over powder wads, 2 cushion wads, and another over powder wad on top.
I measured the barrel in several places before the shot, and again after firing. No change in measurements at all.
The lug on the breech plug left a 1/4" dent on the backing block.
Now that the barrel seems good to go, I can begin inleting it in the stock.
I hand cut the ramrod groove and drilled the hole today. Everything came out good. Made the ramrod groove and hole 7/16" so I can use a hickory rod and not worry as much about breaking it. I also made barrel lugs from an old car fender steel, and soldered them to the barrel. Drilled for 3/32" pins.
Everything fits good so far. Will try and get more pictures soon.looking for a .735" Roundbball mold. Don't want to pay a dollar a ball with shipping.
So far my total out of pocket cost for this gun has been the $40.00 paid for the barrel steel. All other parts have been made by me from scrap steel, including the screws. I helped a friend saw a walnut log a few years ago and got the stock blank for my time.
A new Lyman mold would cost more than the rest of the gun :grin: .
I may just make my own mold blocks as I have in the past for my .62 Hawken.