• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a Maryland Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of your videos have screwed up sound for me on all devices i try. No problem with other videos on YouTube or Rumble.

I really want to follow your work but. . . . .

Does anybody else have this problem?

From the Rumble screen click on the settings button then on quality then on 240. That should clean up the sound so you can understand it.

I think RollingThunder has it right. When I render the videos I turn all of the settings all the way up. Gives you great video quality. Problem is that it comes with massive video file sizes. It takes a good internet connection to make it run smooth. Hit play on the video. You will see a thing that looks sort of like a gear on the bottom right hand part of the screen. Click on that then click quality. From there you can select a quality that will work with your internet connection.

Thank you for making these. They're incredibly informative, well put together, and your deadpan humor is the icing on top. They've got me confident I can build one from a plank!

But.... do you actually enjoy inletting those long barrels completely by hand? I'd have to figure out a way to mill a bit more out haha. I'm currently working on inletting my first stock (bolt gun) by hand and it's fairly tedious.

Mr billraby - thanks a hundred times for posting this EXCELLENT series of episodes of your rifle build project. You can be sure that every one of these invaluable segments will be watched avidly - especially the chisel-sharpening episode.

When the camera is turned off I turn on a audiobook. The hours spent in the workshop are not at all tedious.

@billraby is there any reason not to draw file prior to inletting the barrel channel to avoid having to adjust the lock inletting, other than the obvious reason of potentially dinging up the barrel while inletting the channel and lock?

Also, if your barrel is rougher than a rice, say a colerain, would you still leave the bottom hidden flats unfiled?

I don't think it matters if you draw file before or after inletting. The amount of metal that comes off is tiny. I have done it both ways. That barrel is made by Rice. Bottom flats filed or not is entirely a matter of personal preference. The barrel gets permanently mounted in the stock.

Back