• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Lancaster Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what brands or cut rasps I have off the top of my head. I have had them for a while. Its about time to replace them. I would grab those Iwasaki rasps if they are in good condition. I will probably be getting a few of those. I might try a Liogier rasp. I hear that they are great. But they cost a LOT! If I really it then I have to get the whole set. I also plan on getting one a saw rasp. Never used one, but I hear they work great. Grobet is the way to go on files and rifflers. For rasps I use the large, coarse ones the most. Same for files. But with files you also need finer and smaller ones too.

Only problem is that good set of rasps and files will cost a few thousand dollars. A good set of chisels costs even more. If you are just starting out reality is that you likely will not be able to buy all the tools that you need. It has taken me a lot of years to get the tools that I have now. Starting out you pretty much have to make do with what you have. I would start with a few really good rasps, files, chisels and a bunch of crummy cheap ones. Buy more tools as you need them and replace the crummy tools that you use the most with good ones as the money allows.

Stanley Surform very usefull tools the round & semi round the most usefull . Even the rasps have uses part curved ones mostly . .I don't use the Stanley handles can' feel' them better with out . Have fun .grab the lot they will come in. Rudyard

I'm really enjoying this great build, Thanks for taking the time .

Jack

Not sure what brands or cut rasps I have off the top of my head. I have had them for a while. Its about time to replace them. I would grab those Iwasaki rasps if they are in good condition. I will probably be getting a few of those. I might try a Liogier rasp. I hear that they are great. But they cost a LOT! If I really it then I have to get the whole set. I also plan on getting one a saw rasp. Never used one, but I hear they work great. Grobet is the way to go on files and rifflers. For rasps I use the large, coarse ones the most. Same for files. But with files you also need finer and smaller ones too.

Only problem is that good set of rasps and files will cost a few thousand dollars. A good set of chisels costs even more. If you are just starting out reality is that you likely will not be able to buy all the tools that you need. It has taken me a lot of years to get the tools that I have now. Starting out you pretty much have to make do with what you have. I would start with a few really good rasps, files, chisels and a bunch of crummy cheap ones. Buy more tools as you need them and replace the crummy tools that you use the most with good ones as the money allows.
...Have you ever used a Vixen file? https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/what-is-a-vixen-file

Looking good! Where do you buy your rifflers?

Rifflers are made by Grobet. Problem is that they do not sell direct. I don't think anyone carries their full line so you have to look around at various suppliers. Amazon is a good place to start.

Latest posts

Back