• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a Lancaster Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,
Bravo Zulu on part 48. There are nuances in this about metal work and wood to metal fit I would have never thought of. The in-the-white kits I have built don't lend themselves easily to these techniques and it shows. Good episode.

R/fishmusic

Glad that I could be of help. The trick is to quit building those kits and start building from scratch. You can see that there is nothing really all that hard about it.

Thanks for sharing. I'm just starting to carve my first longrifle stock and it helps to watch someone else. I had to stop working on mine for about 3 yrs because I just didn't have the time because of a family member with health issues. I'm chomping at the bits to get going again and this inspires me.

Thanks
Jack

I've been following this thread for quite a while, although my viewing has not kept up with recent posts. Thank you, Bill, for sharing this with us. I am going to buy some tools this weekend, and this includes some Japanese rasps. I was wondering if anyone knew the episode numbers of the two discussions of tools Bill uses. I began to downloaded some of the files in September and titled those episodes I have seen with what is covered in each episode. Unfortunately this does not include the tool discussions in the ones I have viewed. Thanks folks.

Just ask if you have any specific questions about tools. Sorry, I never bothered to keep track of what is covered in each video. I should probably do that on the next gun. I am buying lots of tools right now also. I will be starting the next gun pretty soon and need a bunch of new tools.

A guy in our local woodworking club is abandoning the hobby and selling off his tools. Among the items being offered is a set of 3 Iwasaki rasps and I wondered what size, cuts, and brands you use in your builds. I have a few Nicholson US made rasps and files, but they are mostly on the smaller size, about 3/4 x 6 or 8". I also have a Stanley Surform (aka - the cheese grater) and their mini cheese grater.

Episode 39 of your Tennessee rifle build covers chisel and gouge sharpening, and for those who struggle with chisels, I recommend viewing it.

Thanks for any suggestions. I don't use rasps much, so am rather ignorant about what I will most likely need.

Back