• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a hawken from a kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kid of "stocks" do you make?
Honest question. It's a matter of architecture fitting and detail that makes the "hawken" frame an intermediate to advanced build.
I ask because,, roughing 700 blanks is different than "glass bedding" a grade 4 walnut and dropping the comb 3 degrees with reduced cheek.
Lots of 1885 winchesters (I specialize in 1885's), old single shots, Ballards, bolt guns, sidelock, boxlock shotguns, I've just never done a ML. I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you

I doubt you have anything to worry about as far as inletting.
What about lining up components for drilling and how is your filework?
Personally I think if you do your homework. Take a good look at Bill Raby's videos and you should be good to go.

At the end of the day is this a risk you wish to take?
[/QUOT I have all the tools to do wood work. I do alot of file work, sanding, contouring, checkering in my business. Doing the sock work needed to be done I'm pretty sure I will be able to do that. It's lining up the metal parts will be my challenge. But I will take guys advice on this forum and look at video's and books. Thanks Lawrence.

Sounds like you got your bases covered frankie,,
DO, study/review the archives here at TMF and this section. It a freaking encyclopedia,, riddled with sage advice from current pro's in the game.
Good luck with your build, don't rush those tough spots, or hurry to the finish line, it's not a race.
Check back in or search here often,, you'll find the answers, 😇

Sounds like you got your bases covered frankie,,
DO, study/review the archives here at TMF and this section. It a freaking encyclopedia,, riddled with sage advice from current pro's in the game.
Good luck with your build, don't rush those tough spots, or hurry to the finish line, it's not a race.
Check back in or search here often,, you'll find the answers, 😇
I think I can hold my own on stocking modern guns, I get paid well. But I got to tell you these muzzleloaders that these guys are building are magnificent. I doubt if I could ever be as good as them. There rifles are true works of art. I am just astounded on their workmanship. Be it modern day guns or muzzleloaders I can tell what is hacked up and what is professionally done. These guys workmanship is second to none. I'm a professional member in the gunmakers guild and I need to see if we have a category in stockmaking for muzzleloader If some people are interested I might be able to get tem a showing, to come into the guild. I would be their sponsor.. I Am very new to this craft. BUT really looking to get started, their work is very challenging to say the least . I may have found a new calling. Thank you necchi

Last edited:
I only made two Hawken's a half stock & a full the latter flint for patrons. ( I wouldn't have one as a gift myself ) Mr Baird has much to answer for but each to his own.
Rudyard

Buy the plans from TOTW, if they have them in stock. Bottom rifle was built from a block of wood using their plans.
1642155242481.jpeg

Last edited:
Frankie- you clearly have the talent and the skills if you are an accomplished stocker.
Keep one thing in mind with a frontstuffer- the stock is the rifle per se’, it ties all of the components together into becoming the rifle. That’s what makes the architecture of the stock so critical for a given style of rifle.
With a breechloader the stock is the thing that mates the barreled action to the shooters shoulder.
Personally with your talent I think a set of the Robideaux rifle prints would serve you nicely. Just keep in mind the prints are not true to size, years of reproductions have thrown the size a little off kilter, I think we figured .07% too large. Trust the measurements on the print and interpolate accordingly.

If you can build a modern gun from a blank there is no reason I can see that you can't build a quality muzzleloader as well. The trouble with kits is that you are stuck with their dimensions and there is little or no room to make the subtle changes that make the gun fit the man. I'd say buy the wood and the parts and build a rifle to suit you.

Shown below is a Pecatonica Hawken that I built a few yrs ago. Upon receiving the kit I noticed that the lock inlet was mislocated so I drove to Pecatonica. They verified that it indeed was wrong and carved a new stock while I waited,....it was a grade 5 which is their top grade and replaced the grade 4 of the original. Naturally I left in a very good mood. Their Bplate was modified for less curve....don't like an upper arm mount. Had no further problems w/ this kit...the excellent curl doesn't show in the pic because the stain is dark but it's quite evident "in person".....Fred View attachment 114663View attachment 114664
very nice. I love the color

The tang and lock inlets are difficult. The slanted hooked breech tang wants to move foreword as you inlet, that makes a gap on the tang. The tang being hour glass shape and long has to go straight down into the stock. The wrist is not parallel with the barrel or hooked breech face. When it is done it needs to land in the correct place on the lock plate. Easy....

I went through two precaves before I gave up and built from a plank. The plank was easier than the precarve. In the process the tang and lockplate and hammer needed to be replaced because I modified them to work with the precarves. . It was a comedy of errors. It was around my 20th ML build and 40 years of experience stock making. On the upside the one I made from a plank is very nice.

I also did a half stock Leman percussion in 54 cal. It is the same general layout as a hawken but much simpler in construction. It is also much lighter. I would grab that one first for a hunt. The Hawken is cumbersome.
very nice, very clean.

Back