• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_123042.jpg
    IMG_20230530_123042.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Gettin buttplate curved to the stock ... Top looks good but the stock has bit of curve down by toe , has to be straight there ....straight down no swoop .... Take off wood then ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_114615.jpg
    IMG_20230601_114615.jpg
  • IMG_20230601_115530.jpg
    IMG_20230601_115530.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230601_115125.jpg
    IMG_20230601_115125.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230601_114618.jpg
    IMG_20230601_114618.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
A lot harder working with iron/steel than brass, huh!
Yeah , steel is tougher than brass , naturally but this old 100 yr. old banding material is really tough stuff ! Geesh ! Regular modern mild steel aint got $hit on this stuff ! LOL ... Gonna have to bug my buddy again and use his torch to anneal it so I can tap er on down after I get it all fit to the butt stock ....

Yeah , steel is tougher than brass , naturally but this old 100 yr. old banding material is really tough stuff ! Geesh ! Regular modern mild steel aint got $hit on this stuff ! LOL ... Gonna have to bug my buddy again and use his torch to anneal it so I can tap er on down after I get it all fit to the butt stock ....
Old banding was often a spring steel with enough carbon to harden. Good stuff!

Its tough as Wang leather !! Its got this awesome bitted finish to it being so old ...it'll never frikken wear out I'll tell ya !! :D
You got your work set out for with that banding it’s sorta like leaf springs on older trucks tuffer than all get out ,good luck with that it can be done but your gonna know you done something with it forsure .😃

You got your work set out for with that banding it’s sorta like leaf springs on older trucks tuffer than all get out ,good luck with that it can be done but your gonna know you done something with it forsure .😃
Funny thing is this is like the 6 or 7th buttplate I've made with the stuff ....but ....I dont know ...I make a lot for English guns than Frenchy so either I forget over time , shocker ...or I just picked the hardest piece in the half mile if banding I have !! I'm still fighting it today ! $hits tough ! After this gun ...I'd say I'm done with this metal for cold forging !! LOL !! Back ta work !!

Most buttplate on a trade gun , couple hours , tops ....this one ? Three days !! LOL !! Lordy ! And it still needs some work .I dont know ... I annealed the other buttplates from this material in the forge and in the wood stove ...maybe it did a better job of annealing ? I annealed this o e twice but with a torch . I've never had this kind of misery and trouble before , could not work this metal , very tough and springy .... All that metal I have ...I hate to waste it , not use it but we'll see ... When I get the forge going I'll make a buttplate and anneal it then make my decision from that...oh well .... Any who ....still a little gap around the edges . I have to get or make some different wood screws and keep working it down tomorrow ... Theres a rendezvous close by too so wanna go check it out tomorrow or Sunday ... Hopefully I can get this f$#@ing buttplate on and start roughing in the buttstock , notices back .... Lordy ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_194133.jpg
    IMG_20230602_194133.jpg
Last edited:
Back