• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builder classes / instruction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any classes to learn the proper way to approach a kit build for the first time builder ?
I've been involved in forging for 30 yrs and there are many schools to attend. Just wondering if there are any offered to learn the basics and try to not trash a stock.

if you watch videos I would recommend Bill Raby, grumpy gunsmith of Williamsburg, homemade history, duelist 1954. in the latest issue of muzzle blast, I see classes listed from mike brooks flintlocks, parker firearms, jack brooks longrifles, and the NMLRA offers classes as well.
most of the kits are fairly easy to complete. two books that are really helpful are building the Pennsylvania long rifle and gunsmith of Greenville county.

Sean,
Thank you for the information! I have a couple kits I bought about twelve years ago in an estate sale. They are pistols made by the
Rifle Shoppe. Still trying to decide if I want to try one or trade for something different. I'm more a long arm shooter in muzzleloaders.

There are quite a few classes offered around the country with competent builders. Where are you locsted?

The NMLRA offers a Kibler kit building class in April and August every year. You go home with a finished gun.
Thanks for the information. I'm new to the serious approach to muzzleloaders so I hadn't heard of the NMLRA. I just went to the site and it sure offers a lot.
Doing turkey shoots and silhouettes with black powder rifles at the area clubs never exposed me to it. Really glad I found this site for information !

The NMLRA sponsors the classes at Western KY State University every spring. I thinnk one was completing a kit. Watch Muzzleblast Mag. They are offered every June. Three day to 10 day classes. Classes are the week befor the spring shoot at Friendship.

Latest posts

Back