• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Build Tool / Barrel Support

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sass2924

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was watching one of Jim Kiblers videos and he was using a support to hold up the end of the rifle he was working on. It looked like it was adjustable and had a 4x4 piece of wood on top. I’d like to get something like this, any idea where I can look?

I was watching one of Jim Kiblers videos and he was using a support to hold up the end of the rifle he was working on. It looked like it was adjustable and had a 4x4 piece of wood on top. I’d like to get something like this, any idea where I can look?

Why not ask Jim, maybe he would make/sell you one. Never hurts to ask.

M/L building vice......Stanley Workmate is excellent , put a section of carpet between the jaws to hold delicate stuff , like a finished rifle. I've been building m/l,s for years using one of these. I can,t stand for long periods of time any more. The Workmate is perfect for old guys ,cause ya can sit and work.
Another rig guys use is two of those cheap 4" swivel vices mounted about 24" apart on a 2x6" , or 2x8". The swivel levers can be unlocked , the work piece put in , the work piece will self align, automatically , then tighten the swivel bases on the vices . A thick piece of cow hide in each vices' jaws , for instance , can hold a gunstock on a 1/4 angle as well. I use one of these 2 vice rigs in an elevated position to hold a barrel/stock combination and install butt plate. From the shop floor the vices sit about shoulder high. Butt plates are challenging and this two vice rig makes it a lot easier.
Another positive feature , both the Workmate . and the 2 vice rig can be portable if space is a problem.
oldwood

This is what I have made for myself and friends that build muzzleloaders. Everything is adjustable and move / removable on the base to allow you to configure it to the task at hand. Hopefully I’ll be successful attaching the pictures. There’s a stand that attaches to the front of my work bench also to bring the unit up to a comfortable height to work.

Attachments

• 394E205B-3370-4E08-9A38-779022411B86.jpeg
    394E205B-3370-4E08-9A38-779022411B86.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 171
  • E19DECE2-2215-472F-BDDE-2B0F5A064F32.jpeg
    E19DECE2-2215-472F-BDDE-2B0F5A064F32.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 181
  • ABDDBCC1-F7CE-4076-83E1-48D3C25DC0E6.jpeg
    ABDDBCC1-F7CE-4076-83E1-48D3C25DC0E6.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 155
LRS.......U done good man...!!!!!!!!
Another trick to ponder...A tolerably good metal engraving support is simply a 4 ft. high carpeted bench. All needed next is a couple 25 lb bags of fine shot shotgun "BB'S" to use as universal rifle positioners. Lay one bag underneath the gun , and another on top of the gun. This mess works like magic. oldwood

I've got an old wood wise on my work table thst I padded to hold the stock. I support the barrel with using an old bar stool with a couple a sand bags on top. Works well enough.

You could also used one of those supports with the long roller that carpenters use to support 2x4s when using a chop saw.

That is actually a gadget you might be able to market and sell. Very impressive.
Thanks for your input. I started out by building one for myself because I found that I couldn’t quite hold the stock the way I wanted it for the various tasks and brought it to our weekly get together. My four colleagues really liked the concept so during this Covid lock down I decided to build them each a unit. We are privileged to have a heated one car garage to work in however with five enthusiasts there we are pretty much obliged to work close together so this approach allows us to work comfortably. Oddly enough I have had quite a few individuals suggest that I market this contraption however I would like to believe that I’m retired and do this for fun. Who knows ... ?

That looks great! The next gadget that needs to be invented is a set of soft and flexible jaws for a vice. Think about a bean bag sort of thing that slips in place for the hard jaws, so it could clamp down on an irregularly shaped object like an egg or something else fragile for instance.

Last edited:
LRsmoker, I have found if you take something you enjoy and make the things you need in your endeavor's (barrel rest) then let someone talk you into making them to sell it now becomes a burden. As you I am retired and retired to enjoy my hobbies and family not to start a cottage business, I have made items relating to our hobby that has drawn the admirations of my fellow shooters and in turn made the item for them as a gift as they have me at times. Good job and happy shooting.

Col. Batguano, that is a simple item take four corn hole game bags sew them together at the seams making two sets and they will drape over the vise jaws making pads, if the beans in the bags are too coarse fill the bags with sand.

M/L building vice......Stanley Workmate is excellent , put a section of carpet between the jaws to hold delicate stuff , like a finished rifle. I've been building m/l,s for years using one of these. I can,t stand for long periods of time any more. The Workmate is perfect for old guys ,cause ya can sit and work.
Another rig guys use is two of those cheap 4" swivel vices mounted about 24" apart on a 2x6" , or 2x8". The swivel levers can be unlocked , the work piece put in , the work piece will self align, automatically , then tighten the swivel bases on the vices . A thick piece of cow hide in each vices' jaws , for instance , can hold a gunstock on a 1/4 angle as well. I use one of these 2 vice rigs in an elevated position to hold a barrel/stock combination and install butt plate. From the shop floor the vices sit about shoulder high. Butt plates are challenging and this two vice rig makes it a lot easier.
Another positive feature , both the Workmate . and the 2 vice rig can be portable if space is a problem.
oldwood
I agree that the Stanley Workmate is good for working on your gun! It's useful if you want to work outside, on your patio or wherever. I was going to buy a newer, bigger one and then I started reading reviews of the newer Workmate models. I guess they have cheapened them and they are no longer as well-made or sturdy. So: my advice is to look around at garage sales, etc. for one of the older ones. Just my opinion, since I really haven't actually looked at one of the new ones, which are hard to find, anyway.

Col. Batguano, that is a simple item take four corn hole game bags sew them together at the seams making two sets and they will drape over the vise jaws making pads, if the beans in the bags are too coarse fill the bags with sand.

Have you made such a device? If so, I would love to see pictures if you have them.

No as I have not ventured into the building of long rifles of the period, this is something I would like to do. Only make the items associated with their usage horns, bags, accountments that sort of thing. But the post and your question got me to thinking these would be very easy to put together. I do build and work on the un-mentionable weapons but the set up for them is a totally different situation. Also I enjoy the thought process that goes into making a needed item.

Back