• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Build Finally Finished......After 40 Years!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gang
I recently joined this forum to respark my interest in muzzle loading. I've always had a love and appreciation for Pennsylvania longrifles since I first started to shoot. My father bought me a Dixie rifle kit for a Christmas present in 1976. I completed the kit and have used the rifle for hunting. Unfortunately, the rifle has never been a consistent shooter despite effort to work up an accurate load.
In the 1980's I decided to build my own rifle. I was born a raised in Lancaster, PA so I decided to make the rifle after the Lancaster school. I purchased "Recreating the American Longrifle" , a stock blank, Green Mountain .45 cal barrel, and a Dixie lock. I followed the book and made my own muzzle cap and ramrod thimbles. Barrel, lock and butt plate were inletted.
Then, life got in the way of my build.
Fast forward to 2020 and I finally decided that it was time to finish my rifle. I elected to ditch the Dixie lock and replace it with a L&R Dixie RPL lock. This rifle is my first attempt at relief carving and silver wire inlay. It's not perfect but I'm pleased with the results. The heart patchbox is probably not "correct" but It is a common PA Dutch theme that I decided to use. Lock and barrel were finished with Laurel Mountain browning. The stock was stained with AF and finished with brown varnish that I made from Eric Kettenburg's Muzzle Blast article.
https://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol5no2/articles/mbo52-1.shtmlI'm anxious to get her to the range and punch some holes in paper. I intend to use her for PA muzzleloading season this year.
If I had a chance to do it over again, I would probably would go with a .54 cal swamped barrel. Muzzle loading info and parts weren't as easy to find back in the '80's. The internet has really helped to open up a lot of resources.....including this site.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    411.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Hey Doc,
What a fine rifle! I am impressed that a first time scratch build would turn out so well. You for sure have background in working with your hands and brain.
Good Job! :thumb:
Flintlocklar🇺🇲

Thanks for the compliments guys. My next project will be to make a powder horn. I'm going to make the horn and my brother is going to scrimshaw it for me. At some point, I will probably make another rifle or fowler. I would like to make something for each of my children.
I have too many things that I like to do and not enough time. I just finished restoring my first car (1970 Plymouth Duster 340) and I will soon start working on my brother's 1967 Barracuda coupe.

I think you win the prize for the "longest time to complete a build" award. I'm surprised you could locate all the parts after so much time. So let me guess; you're shopping for parts sets to start your second build now?

It's amazing that I managed to keep all the parts together over the years. Those rifle parts followed me all over IA, PA, IL and back to PA. I am so glad to finally have this project completed. I am looking at having a local guy engrave the side plate, toe plate, and wrist inlay.
I'm looking forward to taking her to the range and shoot some lead. I probably will do some other builds in the future. This build has given me a chance to learn from experience.

Why in the world were you in such a hurry? You should take your time...geez...only 40 years?

Nice looking! Good Job

Back