• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buffalo with a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, impressive kill. Sounds like a bit of a tough hunt, but you did it right, showed the young'uns how. :wink:

Spence

Cool post.

What is your .62 load for buffalo?

I have a .62 and I am trying to work up a good load for deer and hopefully an elk someday.

A buffalo sounds like a good challenge as well.

Way to go ,sounds like a great hunt and results lead to many fine meals, Buff ribs on the BBQ. Nice looking rifle and the lock is on the correct side. Getting ready here for a late season goose hunt on Monday. R.C.- AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

What is your .62 load for buffalo?

I have a .62 and I am trying to work up a good load for deer and hopefully an elk someday.

I killed a bull moose in 79 (almost 40 years ago) when I first got the rifle. My load for the moose was 150gr 2ff behind a .610 prb. For deer and for the Bison it was 110 gr 2ff. The smoothbore was loaded with 80gr 2ff behind a .600 prb. Both balls were a complete pass through.

The moose was hit in the left ham as he was running straight away and the ball traveled full length stopping under the hide in the brisket.

buckskinner.jpg

Michigan's late muzzleloading season was still young and hadn't been taken over by the dreaded inlines yet. :shake:

I found this bucks track one day when I was out cutting wood. I went home, dropped off my wood and grabbed my then new .54 flintlock. I tracked the buck to a small woodlot where I figured he was bedded. I picked a spot to sit and waited hoping he'd come out that evening.

About a half hour before dark he walked out into the open thinking the hunting season was over. From about 50yd's I put a round ball through his lights.

The rifle was made by Jud Brennan in 1977 and this picture was taken in front of the cabin where he and his family was living at the time. Jud moved to Alaska in 1985 and is still making fine flintlocks.
http://judsonbrennan.blogspot.com/

buckskinner001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Ol' Fancy Pants today with it's ivory and buffalo horn inlays,  it's still a beautiful rifle and  has counted many coups over the years.

J%20Brennan%20.54%20Ken-%20tuk-%20kee%20raffle%20001.jpg

J%20Brennan%20.54%20Ken-%20tuk-%20kee%20raffle%20002.jpg

God_the_Glory.jpg

NWTF Longhunter said:
20ga smoothbore loaded with 80gr 2FF 595 prb

Buffalo1.JPG

Big congrats. That moderate load proves a lot. Our muzzle guns are far more effective than many, including some here, than they are given credit for. 'course, he would be dedder ifn' ye had used 200 grain charge. :wink:

Nice thread and good stuff. Thank you for and enjoyable story on this fine Saturday afternoon. You made smile, thanks again.
Michael

Ron, I know this thread is aged a bit. Don't know how I missed it months ago.

Hopefully you will see this and possibly answer a question....Were the roundballs used on the buffalo and moose pure lead, or, hardened (either alloyed or water quenched)?

Absolutely impressive either way. Congratulations on some fine hunts! :bow:

Best regards, Skychief.

Ron, I know this thread is aged a bit. Don't know how I missed it months ago.

Hopefully you will see this and possibly answer a question....Were the roundballs used on the buffalo and moose pure lead, or, hardened (either alloyed or water quenched)?

I've always used pure lead, some years back I got a good supply of lead pipes from a plumber friend that he got out of an old house. I've never had a need for hardened lead.

Back