• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buffalo Skull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about General Sherman. His job as General in Chief after the war was beating the Indians. He pulled a page from his "total war book" that he used on the South during the Civil War and authorized the killing of 5,000,000 buffalo. It seems depriving the enemy of food was one of his strategies. But it sure was done in a wasteful fashion.

The buffalo herd in the Henry mountains of Utah are known to be pure bred bison.

There is an annual roundup of buff on Antelope Island in Utah, where some are sold for me at and some are relocated to other states for reintroduction. I believe anyone with horsing skills (I don't know anything about horse terms 😂) is allowed to participate.

There is usually at least 1 or 2 people killed by the buff on Antelope Island every year. They are free ranging there and there are quite a few hiker trails. Many times, it is people who frequent the island, are very aware of the danger the buffs pose, and do well keeping their distance. But, when the terrain is wide open a a buff decides he wants to run you down, 1/4 mile distancing isn't going to help you.

Buffalo are indeed a mystical creature and share a fascinating history with humans.

Thanks for sharing, Bob.

EUTYCUS, You may be on to somthing with the Texas heat, In Books, movies, and actual history, the great herds were always moving. I thought this was for greener pastures, But if I we're a Buffalo that knew of a greener place where it was COOL, I'd leave Texas too. But in Alaska & Northern Canada. they seem just fine in -50' W/ snow blowing in their eyes at 50 mph........ Just one Tough Bugger. Be Safe>>>>>>>>>>>>Wally

Great post, @Gunny5821 ! Until you told your tale, I had no idea there were buffalo at Camp Pendleton. I looked it up to read a little more, and the USMC appears to have a "hands off" management strategy with regard to the bison, which I appreciate. There is a nice, short write up about them on the Camp Pendleton website: A Bison's Paradise. I think the animals do best when people leave them alone.

Thanks for sharing your story. Quite a few of our forum brothers have buffalo stories, and I have enjoyed reading all of them.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

No, there are European bison. They can be found in the only primeval forest left in Europe where about 1000 still roam free. This is in the Bialowieza Forest in Poland. They also are in Belarus near the Polish border.
thank you I did not know that. odd that the only other ones on the planet are only in POLAND? are they protected? and did they once roam the whole earth, if you know? just courious?

thank you I did not know that. odd that the only other ones on the planet are only in POLAND? are they protected? and did they once roam the whole earth, if you know? just courious?
Just like all the game in Europe, the bison did at one time roamed all of the continent. Fortunately for them, eastern Europe was less populated than the west so they were able to survive longer. In time they were forbidden to be hunted except by kings and the various rulers for a few centuries. It is a wonder that they survived both world wars. And yes they are protected and live in the only prime evil forest left in Europe. That forest is also protected.

Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about General Sherman. His job as General in Chief after the war was beating the Indians. He pulled a page from his "total war book" that he used on the South during the Civil War and authorized the killing of 5,000,000 buffalo. It seems depriving the enemy of food was one of his strategies. But it sure was done in a wasteful fashion.
How much done in war is not done in a wasteful fashion?

Considering how many millions were slaughtered, the robes and skulls are very rare nowadays, at least here in the East! And I bet the old robes would be pretty 'rank' by now! Good post!
You still can book wild hunts with no guarantee in mid-west. If you get lucky and most are, you need a few friends to help with the amount of meat. And unless you have lots of time and know how, that hide is going to cost you to have it cured. Love the hunt, hate the work after.

I have a story involving myself and a Bison at Camp Pendleton, CA, in the late 1980s. It took me years to get over the embarrassment, and I would always be asked about the incident at any of our CID reunions. We have a monthly newsletter for our Marine Corps Law Enforcement Assn (MCLEA) which consist of retired and former MPs, CID Agents, and NIS/NCIS Agents. The current editor is always asking for funny stories from the membership for inclusion in the newsletter. So after being prodded for several years I submitted the story and it was published in the February newsletter. So my story is, I was actually the one being hunted and within my small circle, I will forever be known as "Buffalo Dick".

For reference, I was armed with a S&W Model 10 2" inch round-butt revolver, carried in a Desantis shoulder holster, wearing a suit, tie, and cowboy boots, baldhead exposed, with no hat for protection against the sun. The ammo we carried was the very anemic M41 .38 Special 130 gr hardball rounds, which only have a muzzle velocity of 725 f/sec from a 4" barrel. Sad part was, I had just taken the last photo of the tower, so I was out of film for my 35mm camera. My duty vehicle was a fairly new white 1989 Ford Crown Victoria.

The photos are for reference only, as to the size of the beast, but that is an actual photo of the rappelling tower, very poor quality, up in the 62 area that was most commonly used by the SOI (School of Infantry).

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Richard

Stories: MCLEA Newsletter: February 2022

Submitted by Richard Turner:

“How I was Tree’d by a Buffalo Bison"

This is a long, but interesting story, it was an embarrassment for me at the time, but funny now. Those who were at CID/NIS/PMO never let me forget that I was the only MP/CID and probably the only Marine who was held at bay by a 2,000+ lb. Buffalo Bull Bison up in the 62 Area of Camp Pendleton. I was duty agent that day, latter part of 1989, and had just left a duty call at Recon Bn, up in the 62 area. I was on my way back to Mainside when I decided to pull off at the rappelling tower South of the 62 Area, and take some photos of the structure for the Marshals Service in San Diego. They were planning to build a rappelling tower at their training site and wanted me to take some photos the next time I was in the area of the rappelling tower. The rappelling tower was located several hundred yards off of Basilone Road, in a valley and the tower couldn't be seen from the main road. I parked about 30 yards in front of the tower and left the duty vehicle running, placing my handheld radio on the roof of the vehicle. I had just finished taking photos and was coming around from the back side of the tower when the Buffalo startled me and charged, he was now between me and the duty vehicle. Luckily, I was close to the ladder of the tower, so dressed in a suit, cowboy boots, and all, I climbed up the ladder about 10 ft., hoping the beast would turn and eventually leave me alone. He stood guard, holding me at bay. Every time I tried to climb down, he would start snorting and pawing the ground, standing at the base of the tower, the beast wasn't giving up. Tired of hanging on the ladder, I eventually had to climb to the top of the tower where I sat in a Huey shell (which was mounted on top of the tower) just so I could get some shade. That SOB stood there at the base of the tower, between me and the car for hours and would not let me leave. This all started at about 1000, and after about 30 to 40 minutes, I began hearing PMO (Provost Marshal's Office) calling me, asking for my 10-20. The call went out that there could be an officer down, most likely anywhere between the 62 area and Mainside. They must have had every available MP and area guard personnel in that sector looking for me and my vehicle. Recon had told the Desk Sgt, that I had departed their area about 0945, and they hadn't heard from me since that time. My first grave mistake was that I had not called out with my location prior to stopping to take photos, so no one had any idea where I was. Second mistake was leaving my handheld radio on the roof of the vehicle. The tower and parking area is not visible from the road, so I was screwed unless the Buffalo left, or someone stumbled upon me. About 1400, I finally saw an MP vehicle entering the training area, the two MPs were laughing their heads off. I could hear them reporting that they had found me and that I was OK. They scared the Buffalo off by bumping their siren and flashing their lights. By the time I returned to the CID Office, it seemed that everyone on base had heard about the CID Agent who was treed by a Buffalo up in the 62 Area and had to be rescued by MPs. When I returned to the CID Office, everyone was cheering and laughing. I can't remember who, but I believe it was the Chief Investigator that was calling me "Buffalo Dick". My suit was trashed with sweat and dirt, so I had to go home for a shower and change. Funny part was, weeks earlier I had been telling everyone, that I had been at Pendleton for almost two years and had only seen a Buffalo far off in the distance, and I really wanted to see one up close in the wild. Before the MPs left the tower, one MP climbed to the top of a hill in the direction the Buffalo had ran, and said, just over the hill from the tower there was a Buffalo cow giving birth to a calf, so I guess that's why he was so Pi**ed off. I had already used up all the film in the camera taking photos of the tower, so I didn't get one of the Buffalo. I was asked if the thought ever crossed my mind to shoot at it. I told them it was already Pi**ed off, and being armed with only a 2" inch .38 revolver, it would have been like shooting him with a BB gun, plus the paperwork would have been a Beitch, discharging my weapon in the line of duty and firing on a protected species. In the end, it seemed as though everyone on base knew, even the commanding general. A month or so later, I had a case that required that I brief the CG. After I finished my briefing, I was dismissed, and just as I was walking out of the General's office, the General grinned and asked, "Agent Turner, seen any Buffalo lately?"

62 Area Rappelling Tower.jpg

Bison Pendleton.jpg
Good story. I know that tower. I've repelled off it many times in the 70's. I wonder if it's still there. When I was at P, I used to hunt Coyote's for ranchers to thin the population. They gave me 20$ a head. I encountered many cats. Never had to shoot one. I had bought an old Arisaka 6.5 sniper rifle from the Army Navy Store in town for 30$. Back then, hand the clerk the cash and out you go. One of the most memorable encounters was when I walked around this crest along a thin trail. The trail was perhaps 3 feet wide. Wall on the right and drop on the left. As I came around an outcrop, there was the largest Owl I'd ever seen. It was about 30 feet in front of me. He was almost as tall as I was just standing on the trail. We stood there quietly and looked at each other. Then the Owl spread his wings. WOW, HUGE, I just backed up, back around the outcrop out of his sight and went the other way. Semper Fi.

dwindling-bison-herds.jpg

The original extent of buffalo herding in this area is not depicted quite so accurately, as it extended all the way to lake Ontario on the Niagara frontier.
When I was a kid the department of the interior was offering free buffalos from South Dakota, if I remember right, all you had to do was pay shipping. My allowance for chores wasn't near enough and the folks wouldn't make a loan. I was crushed! Still have an affection for those burly beasties!!!
Robby
Robby

View attachment 192629
The original extent of buffalo herding in this area is not depicted quite so accurately, as it extended all the way to lake Ontario on the Niagara frontier.
When I was a kid the department of the interior was offering free buffalos from South Dakota, if I remember right, all you had to do was pay shipping. My allowance for chores wasn't near enough and the folks wouldn't make a loan. I was crushed! Still have an affection for those burly beasties!!!
Robby
Robby
Kindred spirits!

Thanks for posting that map, @Robby . It is very informative. I would agree that the original range of the American Bison probably extended farther east than Dr. Hornaday indicated on the map. There is historical evidence, for example, of buffalo in the Florida panhandle in the 17th and early 18th centuries, in the vicinity of the modern-day town of Chipley. They were not in the enormous herds seen on the plains, but they were present in huntable numbers. The Spanish colonials established a mission community in what is now Tallahassee, and they and the local Apalachee people would go up and hunt them periodically.

In reading early and mid-19th century western travel literature, I have come across multiple references to "mountain buffalo" in the Rockies. Hornaday mentioned these, but thought they were the same as the Canadian wood buffalo of the far north. However, in researching this, it appears that the "mountain buffalo" know to the trappers and plainsmen were taxonomically the same as plains bison, and where their ranges overlapped, they would interbreed. The difference was in their behaviors. Mountain bison were much wilder and more difficult to hunt. They tended to run in much smaller herds, and their seasonal migratory patterns ranged from high country to lowlands, rather than north and south. Theodore Roosevelt wrote a lengthy chapter in one of his books about his hunt for a mountain bison. It was hard to determine exactly where this hunt took place, but I believe he was in the mountains somewhere near or on the northern Idaho/Montana border, possibly up into southern British Columbia.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. The information that has been brought to light and the stories told have all been good reading.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back