Buffalo Skull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about General Sherman. His job as General in Chief after the war was beating the Indians. He pulled a page from his "total war book" that he used on the South during the Civil War and authorized the killing of 5,000,000 buffalo. It seems depriving the enemy of food was one of his strategies. But it sure was done in a wasteful fashion.

HighUintas

40 Cal
Reaction score
The buffalo herd in the Henry mountains of Utah are known to be pure bred bison.

There is an annual roundup of buff on Antelope Island in Utah, where some are sold for me at and some are relocated to other states for reintroduction. I believe anyone with horsing skills (I don't know anything about horse terms 😂) is allowed to participate.

There is usually at least 1 or 2 people killed by the buff on Antelope Island every year. They are free ranging there and there are quite a few hiker trails. Many times, it is people who frequent the island, are very aware of the danger the buffs pose, and do well keeping their distance. But, when the terrain is wide open a a buff decides he wants to run you down, 1/4 mile distancing isn't going to help you.

Buffalo are indeed a mystical creature and share a fascinating history with humans.

Thanks for sharing, Bob.

Reaction score
EUTYCUS, You may be on to somthing with the Texas heat, In Books, movies, and actual history, the great herds were always moving. I thought this was for greener pastures, But if I we're a Buffalo that knew of a greener place where it was COOL, I'd leave Texas too. But in Alaska & Northern Canada. they seem just fine in -50' W/ snow blowing in their eyes at 50 mph........ Just one Tough Bugger. Be Safe>>>>>>>>>>>>Wally

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Great post, @Gunny5821 ! Until you told your tale, I had no idea there were buffalo at Camp Pendleton. I looked it up to read a little more, and the USMC appears to have a "hands off" management strategy with regard to the bison, which I appreciate. There is a nice, short write up about them on the Camp Pendleton website: A Bison's Paradise. I think the animals do best when people leave them alone.

Thanks for sharing your story. Quite a few of our forum brothers have buffalo stories, and I have enjoyed reading all of them.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
No, there are European bison. They can be found in the only primeval forest left in Europe where about 1000 still roam free. This is in the Bialowieza Forest in Poland. They also are in Belarus near the Polish border.
thank you I did not know that. odd that the only other ones on the planet are only in POLAND? are they protected? and did they once roam the whole earth, if you know? just courious?

Reaction score
thank you I did not know that. odd that the only other ones on the planet are only in POLAND? are they protected? and did they once roam the whole earth, if you know? just courious?
Just like all the game in Europe, the bison did at one time roamed all of the continent. Fortunately for them, eastern Europe was less populated than the west so they were able to survive longer. In time they were forbidden to be hunted except by kings and the various rulers for a few centuries. It is a wonder that they survived both world wars. And yes they are protected and live in the only prime evil forest left in Europe. That forest is also protected.

Reaction score
Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about General Sherman. His job as General in Chief after the war was beating the Indians. He pulled a page from his "total war book" that he used on the South during the Civil War and authorized the killing of 5,000,000 buffalo. It seems depriving the enemy of food was one of his strategies. But it sure was done in a wasteful fashion.
How much done in war is not done in a wasteful fashion?

gustrolland

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Considering how many millions were slaughtered, the robes and skulls are very rare nowadays, at least here in the East! And I bet the old robes would be pretty 'rank' by now! Good post!
You still can book wild hunts with no guarantee in mid-west. If you get lucky and most are, you need a few friends to help with the amount of meat. And unless you have lots of time and know how, that hide is going to cost you to have it cured. Love the hunt, hate the work after.

Latest posts