• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo horn staple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you a put the staple in the side of the horn?

Horner75, I googled buffalo horn, and your picture came up. I hope you don't mind me posting it with my question.

Bee_Hive_base_Buffalo_Horn_20071.jpg

Horner75 can tell you how he did his. What I've read about staples on originals is that the staples would be heated then burned through the side of the horn. The staple was tapered, so once through it would not tend to keep on going through. The ends were then bent back on the inside securing it to the horn. With a horn with a screw spout, it would be easy to reach in and bend back the staple. Horner and others can probably weigh in with more information.

Scott

Skunkskinner,
Scott explained pretty much the way I do it, but sometimes I just drill two undersized staple holes and add a spot of bee's waw or epoxy to the staple tips, before tapping into horn, then bend the prongs over with a long screw driver or dowel. It helps to anneal the staple tips before tapping in horn, if you use a thicker wire. Makes bending over easier!

Rick

Thanks Scott and Rick, tapering and annealing the wire sounds like a good idea.I'll give it a try.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back