BUFFALO BULLETS BALLETES

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tom berwinkle

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday I ran across a full box of Buffalo bullets for .44 Cap and ball, Box was unopened but I discovered the lube on the bullets had hardened so they arrant useable as is. Any suggestions on how to remove it so I can relube them? It seems to be a waxy type of coating. I have't used them in years but remember they shot well. Thanks......Tom

ADK Bigfoot

40 Cal
Reaction score
In small batches, I have placed hard-lubed bullets on a paper towel, then heated them from above with a heat lamp. The lube melts off and the paper towels soak it up. Then re-lube. The Buffalo Ball-etts may require tumble lubing due to their surface. (larger batches might work in a warm oven over paper towels.)

Just my suggestion...

ADK Bigfoot

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I would simply shoot them as is, that is what I do with mine.

OR, if you must, put them in the oven at the lowest setting, and I bet that the lube will melt off. Take it to 200 and for sure it will melt off.

Fleener

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Drop them in boiling water. Do not let the bullets lay on the bottom of the pot, have a raised base in there that is vented or non-metal. Let them air-dry overnight. Apply lube of choice.

Woodnbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Drop them in boiling water. Do not let the bullets lay on the bottom of the pot, have a raised base in there that is vented or non-metal. Let them air-dry overnight. Apply lube of choice.
Don’t use wifes good pots... just saying...

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Kinda depends on what the lube is made of, but I have had good success soaking them in mineral spirits. If that doesn't work put them in the tableware basket and run the dishwasher with DW soap.